Sign in to follow this  
elk66

Britchen Attachment

Was wondering how or what you use to attach a britchen on a new saddle. If you were to retrofit an old saddle for a britchen attachment would you do it the same way or something different. Thanks

You could do it a few different ways. On some saddles you can run those back pad straps to the back cinch rings so you don't need to add anything special. If I build a saddle set up for a britchen I make a tab with a dee with a 1" dee ring and put it under the back jockey right where the back conchos go so that I can screw them in when I screw in under the concho. I like the end of the dee to come just past the edge of the skirt so it's easy to snap the back pad straps even if the rider has saddlebags or a coat tied on the back. I also have made up a kind of plate with two britchen dees and a crupper dee in the middle that can be easily added to a saddle. It can either sit on top of the back jockey or you can pull the back jockey off and install it then replace the back jockey.I wanted to post a pic of one, but haven't quite got that figured out yet. Hope this made sense. I think the important thing is to try and get something strong and easy to get to. Chris