Sign in to follow this  
LA40

Stamping On Latigo Leather?

Hello, I am not a leather professional or even a hobbyist. I bought a leather journal as a gift for a friend. I intended to stamp a title into the cover of this journal as he is a writer. I contacted a couple different leather craft stores here in LA (Standing Bear and Tandy) and was told that the type of leather the journal is made from (Latigo) would not hold a stamp. I'm looking for a leather professional in Los Angeles who might be able to help me out. Can you recommend someone? Are there other ways to get this title into the leather? Laser? Embossing? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SF

Hello, I am not a leather professional or even a hobbyist. I bought a leather journal as a gift for a friend. I intended to stamp a title into the cover of this journal as he is a writer. I contacted a couple different leather craft stores here in LA (Standing Bear and Tandy) and was told that the type of leather the journal is made from (Latigo) would not hold a stamp. I'm looking for a leather professional in Los Angeles who might be able to help me out. Can you recommend someone? Are there other ways to get this title into the leather? Laser? Embossing? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SF

Sorry, but latigo really does not lend itself to stamping. Yes, you could have the title laser engraved onto the cover. Another way might be to have the title tooled onto a piece of veg tan leather, and sewn on to the cover. You might also get a custom adornment of some kind made with the title on it, and have it attached to the journal. It all just depends on what you would be willing to invest? What about getting a metal oval engraved with the title on it (sort of like the brass ovals you find on a dog's collar that has his name on it), and have it riveted on?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Some latigo CAN be stamped, it's just that the impressions aren't very crisp and aren't really worth the effort involved. If it can be made wet, it can be stamped, but see the previous caveat about impressions. Hilly is right about the laser engraving. On this forum, there are several members who do laser engraving & they may be able to help you out. If you have ever done wood burning, you could also do the title by pyrographing it into the leather. Or, as Hilly also suggested, tool on to veg-tan & sew it to the latigo.

russ

Edited by whinewine