troppy

Legal Issues Selling Holsters

Going back to my previous post: if you're afraid of being sued over something you made, don't make it. Don't sell it. Don't give it away. Pure and simple. Go ahead, but if you do choose to make your stuff, don't sell it or give it away & just lock it up & hide it away from the prying eyes of those who just might desire it... And then you won't be sued.

Isn't that absurd? Where is the common sense?

Certain things I won't make (suspension harnesses & horse tack, because I don't know enough about them to say if they are safe or not, saddles, because I've never made one & have no desire to take a course in saddle making at this stage in my life... things like that). But the stuff I know how to make, I'll continue to make, and I certainly have enough knowledge about that which I make to defend myself in court.

I believe that several of us simply want to know how common this type of occurance is.

To know what kind of hornet's nest you might get into is as simple as looking at the politics of guns in America.

Without going into a long post, because it will be full of passion that will probably rub a few people wrong, do not underestimate the seriousness of what you can get into. This might be just "leathercraft" to some folks but to others it goes a lot deeper than that.

You can get sued for anything anytime. That doesn't mean you're in the wrong. Just means you have to defend yourself. Take the responsibility of preparing to defending yourself. Now where have I heard that before? :whistle:

I don't make holsters for sale, but I do have an LLC. They aren't that expensive to set up, and will at least protect your personal property like your house and your car.

"I'm going to sue you for everything you've got!"

"I'd like to see that--I've got nothin'!"

I don't make holsters for sale, but I do have an LLC. They aren't that expensive to set up, and will at least protect your personal property like your house and your car.

"I'm going to sue you for everything you've got!"

"I'd like to see that--I've got nothin'!"

Exactly. An LLC in Texas is $300 to set up...oh wait $308. Not a lot of beans for managing the risks.

I believe that several of us simply want to know how common this type of occurance is.

Excellent question, Greg!

Just how many of the members on this site have been sued over something they made from leather?

I would also like to know, just out of curiosity.

And for those here that think I have left myself legally naked, so to speak, by not having insurance, etc, let me just say that I have been sued probably 11, 12 times- perhaps more (but who's counting)... but not over something I made from leather.

When you enter the Correctional System, you get 'de-flowered' very quickly. So, Please, I KNOW what frivolous lawsuits are all about!...(over things you would or could probably never imagine in your wildest dreams). I was even sued because I said HAH! to an inmate once when he thought he deserved support for parole. I have been sued simply because I was a member of the Unit Management Team that made an adverse decision against an inmate; I have been sued because an inmate didn't like an answer I gave to him; I have been sued simply because I was part of the chain of command from the Superintendent, on down... among other ludicrous lawsuits. And guess what?- NONE EVER MADE IT TO COURT! surprise, surprise...

You can't cave in to thugs. You can't go through life being a wussie, fearing that you'll be sued.

Just how many of the members on this site have been sued over something they made from leather?

And for those here that think I have left myself legally naked, so to speak, by not having insurance, etc, let me just say that I have been sued probably 11, 12 times- perhaps more (but who's counting)... but not over something I made from leather.

When you enter the Correctional System, you get 'de-flowered' very quickly. So, Please, I KNOW what frivolous lawsuits are all about!...(over things you would or could probably never imagine in your wildest dreams). I was even sued because I said HAH! to an inmate once when he thought he deserved support for parole. I have been sued simply because I was a member of the Unit Management Team that made an adverse decision against an inmate; I have been sued because an inmate didn't like an answer I gave to him; I have been sued simply because I was part of the chain of command from the Superintendent, on down... among other ludicrous lawsuits. And guess what?- NONE EVER MADE IT TO COURT! surprise, surprise...

You can't cave in to thugs. You can't go through life being a wussie, fearing that you'll be sued.

I spent over 30 years as a law enforcement officer and I, like you, was sued a number of times. Like you none of the cases made it past summary judgement and like you I was represented by my employer's attorneys. In my case the County Prosecutor's Office. With one exception. That time the Prosecuting Attorney was named in the suit also. The County had to hire outside counsel and the bill came to nearly $24K just to get to summary judgement where the case was throwen out.

If you are conducting any kind of business. Liability insurance just makes sense. If shelling out a couple of hundred a year makes me a wussie, well OK I'm a wussie.

'You ever have to foot the bill for the legal defense in any of those cases? That could end a small business. I'm glad you never had a case go full turn, but that doesn't really mean much to anyone who has gone under due to frivolous law suits. I also know a guy who has been in over half a dozen wrecks and has never been hurt, but that doesn't keep me from wearing my seat belt...

If I didn't believe in being prepared, I wouldn't carry a gun either. Better safe than sorry, so to speak.

No one is caving to thugs. And part of conducting a legitimate business is registering said business with the state and (forgive me) the Feds. If that's not what you want then don't do it. But don't sit and name-call the rest of us because we care to take care of our business the way we see fit. :nono:

I don't have the answer to how many lawsuits are brought against leatherworkers. Do your research if you really need to know. If you'd like said research to prove your point that we don't need to protect our business affairs, well I'm going to tell you not to waste your time because you're not going to change my mind anyway. If you want to know for your own personal satisfaction... :google0dw:

'You ever have to foot the bill for the legal defense in any of those cases? That could end a small business. I'm glad you never had a case go full turn, but that doesn't really mean much to anyone who has gone under due to frivolous law suits. I also know a guy who has been in over half a dozen wrecks and has never been hurt, but that doesn't keep me from wearing my seat belt...

If I didn't believe in being prepared, I wouldn't carry a gun either. Better safe than sorry, so to speak.

:16:

No one is caving to thugs. And part of conducting a legitimate business is registering said business with the state and (forgive me) the Feds. If that's not what you want then don't do it. But don't sit and name-call the rest of us because we care to take care of our business the way we see fit. :nono:

I don't have the answer to how many lawsuits are brought against leatherworkers. Do your research if you really need to know. If you'd like said research to prove your point that we don't need to protect our business affairs, well I'm going to tell you not to waste your time because you're not going to change my mind anyway. If you want to know for your own personal satisfaction... :google0dw:

:16:

I'm sorry you're taking offense, because I meant none. All I meant was that we can't go through life fearing a lawsuit. And I'm not name calling anyone, it's just that people confuse POSSIBILITY with PROBABILITY- and they are not the same. As a result, people end up doing nothing for fear of something (most likely remote-at best) happening. Or they overreact to an event and cause/create the situation they most fear. I've seen that numerous times (the 'self-fulfilling prophecy'). No one is trying to change your mind- you made that perfectly clear from the start- and that's fine. This is a forum- a place where we can (& should be able to) exchange differing ideas. And I am not saying that we don't need to protect our business affairs- on the contrary- but I feel someone who makes an occasional and well constructed item runs a very miniscule chance of being sued. But if your entire business consists of making tactical gear (where the purchaser's life depends on it functioning properly), then by God, you had better have enough legal protection behind you.

And yes, btw, my business is registered with both the Commonwealth and the Feds & I do pay my taxes on it, too.

And yes, I do carry $1,000,000 liability insurance on my business.

And the original question still is:

Just how many members on this site have been sued over something they made from leather?

Edited by whinewine

No one is sitting in a closet cowering terrified or handicapped by any actions taken to protect themselves. Don't blow your argument out of proportion. It is wildly inaccurate.

I carry. The chances of actually using my gun are minuscule (just like being sued over a holster) but that one time I need it, I'm prepared. According to your reasoning I have no need to be carrying (and no need for liability preparations). Is that right?

As far as I'm concerned there is no distinction between "tactical gear" and any other gun leather (concealed carry, cowboy action, IDPA, hunting, range use). They all involve real guns that shoot real bullets. The handling and safety requirements are paramount.

I'm sorry you're taking offense, because I meant none.

All I meant was that we can't go through life fearing a lawsuit. And I'm not name calling anyone, it's just that people confuse POSSIBILITY with PROBABILITY- and they are not the same. As a result, people end up doing nothing for fear of something (most likely remote-at best) happening. Or they overreact to an event and cause/create the situation they most fear. I've seen that numerous times (the 'self-fulfilling prophecy'). No one is trying to change your mind- you made that perfectly clear from the start- and that's fine. This is a forum- a place where we can (& should be able to) exchange differing ideas. And I am not saying that we don't need to protect our business affairs- on the contrary- but I feel someone who makes an occasional and well constructed item runs a very miniscule chance of being sued. But if your entire business consists of making tactical gear (where the purchaser's life depends on it functioning properly), then by God, you had better have enough legal protection behind you.

And yes, btw, my business is registered with both the Commonwealth and the Feds & I do pay my taxes on it, too.

And yes, I do carry $1,000,000 liability insurance on my business.

And the original question still is:

Just how many members on this site have been sued over something they made from leather?

Edited by Shorts

Just to try and put some rest to this topic...

I talked to my lawyer and a couple others (one that owns a leatherworking business actually). The information I was given was basically this...

If you're just making a few holsters they wouldn't worry about it. Waiver, Insurance, etc. will not make a difference in getting sued or not. Bottom line is until this country gets some tort reform we will have this problem of anybody can sue anybody so there's no reason to waste your time worrying about it. Your best defense in any case would be to know the weapon you're making the holster, sheath, etc. for and be able to demonstrate proper safety and usage of both the firearm/knife and holster, sheath, etc. 99.9% of the time that there is a malfunction it is in neither the weapon or holster but with the individual.

If you're selling your leatherwork frequently (and not just holsters) It would probably be in your best interest to form and LLC. Not just for this case but it also has some other benifits.

I was told that they wouldn't worry about the insurances unless you're selling a very large number of products.

Just what I was told. Not trying to change anybody's ideas or opinions just my 2 cents.

No one is sitting in a closet cowering terrified or handicapped by any actions taken to protect themselves. [1]Don't blow your argument out of proportion. It is wildly inaccurate.

I carry. The chances of actually using my gun are minuscule (just like being sued over a holster) but that one time I need it, I'm prepared. According to your reasoning I have no need to be carrying (and no need for liability preparations). Is that right? [2]

As far as I'm concerned there is no distinction between "tactical gear" and any other gun leather (concealed carry, cowboy action, IDPA, hunting, range use). They all involve real guns that shoot real bullets. The handling and safety requirements are paramount. [3]

I guess you just don't want to let this go...

Your statement #[1]:... I'm not blowing my argument out of proportion, and what, specifically, is wildly inaccurate?

Your statement #[2]:... I NEVER said that- why are you putting words in my mouth? All I said is that someone who constructs 1 or 2 well made items is most likely NOT going to be sued. You're going to carry a gun,(& you've made that unequivically clear) and that's fine- I don't have a problem with that- but somehow you're making that equivalent to some individual who makes a few holsters to being sued???

Let me ask you: when you first started out, did you say ..."I'm going to make holsters, even though I have never made one before, so I'm going to rush out & get $1 million in liability insurance & get an LLC BEFORE I start"?... I would venture to guess that you most likely made a few, sold a few, liked what you were doing, BEFORE you actually took the $$$ plunge- correct?

Your statement #[3]:... I agree with you totally- what's your point? (oppositional-defiant disorder?). And so far, NO ONE has come out on this site to answer the question-

Just how many members on this site have been sued over something they made of leather?

You told me to do my research, and that's what I'm trying to do, but you apparently want me to go elsewhere to do it, and NOT do it on LWN... HUH?

Let's just try to put some rest to this topic: Thank you Josh Duvall, for bringing some fresh air into this! You did actually did speak with an attorney & other knowledgeable people who do know the law instead of going off half-cocked.

I'm certainly done with the topic & I will speak no more about it.

I see you're just as stubborn. How about that?

I did make a few holsters before starting the business. It was a concern then, especially when I started looking for a maker's mark. Now it was going to be my name on that item, completely identifiable, for better or for worse. I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't say that the liability wasn't on my mind. My formal education is health and fitness. As a trainer liability is a very big consideration. It's a part of the field that cannot be ignored. In fact, any employer requires liability coverage from it's trainers just to hold a contract and current certification. If my conviction to protect myself is higher than yours then what is the problem?

Do your research. Just like there is more than one book in the library, there is more than one site on the internet. Being that LW is a very accessible, public site, as a maker in the field I wouldn't air much if any serous dirty laundry or inner workings here. The superstitious athlete in is the other reason I'll give you no answer. If you don't understand that I'm not going to beat my head against the wall trying to explain it to you. You seem like the kind who won't accept a simple explanation anyway. Incidentally over the last day or so I have done a search on the topic and found the answers. I was hoping you'd come back with the same information that I was able to find. So far, no luck.

I guess you just don't want to let this go...

Your statement #[1]:... I'm not blowing my argument out of proportion, and what, specifically, is wildly inaccurate?

Your statement #[2]:... I NEVER said that- why are you putting words in my mouth? All I said is that someone who constructs 1 or 2 well made items is most likely NOT going to be sued. You're going to carry a gun,(& you've made that unequivically clear) and that's fine- I don't have a problem with that- but somehow you're making that equivalent to some individual who makes a few holsters to being sued???

Let me ask you: when you first started out, did you say ..."I'm going to make holsters, even though I have never made one before, so I'm going to rush out & get $1 million in liability insurance & get an LLC BEFORE I start"?... I would venture to guess that you most likely made a few, sold a few, liked what you were doing, BEFORE you actually took the $$$ plunge- correct?

Your statement #[3]:... I agree with you totally- what's your point? (oppositional-defiant disorder?). And so far, NO ONE has come out on this site to answer the question-

Just how many members on this site have been sued over something they made of leather?

You told me to do my research, and that's what I'm trying to do, but you apparently want me to go elsewhere to do it, and NOT do it on LWN... HUH?

Let's just try to put some rest to this topic: Thank you Josh Duvall, for bringing some fresh air into this! You did actually did speak with an attorney & other knowledgeable people who do know the law instead of going off half-cocked.

I'm certainly done with the topic & I will speak no more about it.

Incidentally over the last day or so I have done a search on the topic and found the answers. I was hoping you'd come back with the same information that I was able to find. So far, no luck.

Wouldn't a normal human being simply post a link? I thought we were here to help each other; not tear each other down.

whinewine,

I'm just a newcomer to the boards who was following with interest trying to learn something about how someone who is actually in the holster business handles legal liability. I personally know no one from these boards & I had never before read any post of yours so I can safely state that I am totally without bias here. Outside of my question about insurance (which I'll save for the end), I bring nothing here except an open mind and good reading comprehension.

Initially you used some silly & obscure examples of possible liability scenarios to make a case for the fact that being sued was a remote possibility and that we should follow one of 3 courses of action...

...Or what if he stubs his toe wearing a pair of your handmade sandals at the local rattlesnake roundup? Is any of this possible? Yes. Remotely. Is any of it likely to result in you being sued? Highly unlikely. If you are so worried, then (1) you don't make leather items to sell. (2) Or you get insurance. Or (3) you make sure your item (holster, keyfob, belt, whatever) is constructed as well as it can be

An alert reader was then later to encounter this statement...

And for those here that think I have left myself legally naked, so to speak, by not having insurance, etc, let me just say that I have been sued probably 11, 12 times

... which seemed to indicate that you did not, in fact, personally carry insurance, and thus were obviously following either your 1st or 3rd pieces of advice.

Of course, it was later discovered that you evidently operate a fully registered and insured leather business (??)...

my business is registered with both the Commonwealth and the Feds ... And yes, I do carry $1,000,000 liability insurance on my business.

So, having read through all this apparent contradiction, I am left with just one question - What, exactly, was your point? You did seem to be arguing toward some end, but whatever it was somehow got lost amidst the blustery bravado of your rhetoric.

In spite of the high "signal to noise ratio" in this thread, It was interesting to learn that even very small leather shops use LLC's and liability policies.

As to my question:

For those who operate an LLC and carry insurance, you would put all the business assets (tools, etc) in the LLC, and then carry a personal umbrella policy in case any litigation made it past the LLC, is that correct?

Thanks!

Edited by olliesrevenge

As to my question:

For those who operate an LLC and carry insurance, you would put all the business assets (tools, etc) in the LLC, and then carry a personal umbrella policy in case any litigation made it past the LLC, is that correct?

Thanks!

Yes.

I know this question was initially directed to Shorts, however, that is exactly what I did. I set up the LLC and the insurance for the company at the get-go. Why? Because there's a much higher level of liability assigned with making holsters than there is with, say, making a wallet. In fact, on the insurance side, it took some amount of effort to find an underwriter because most insurers did not want to insure anything associated with guns. Horse gear/tack and saddles were another high risk assigned by the underwriters. I have $1-million worth of coverage. I'm covered by whatever I choose to make or repair. I've been able to draw other ventures/products in under the insurance coverage. This even includes the making of custom acoustic guitars. My premium and coverage amount did not change.

To me, and my legal advisors and accountant, it makes good sense to protect one's self. Insurance and setting your business up as an LLC or Corporation does that.

Folks,

This is getting a bit heated with the various opinions about what should or should not be carried as far as insurance, LLC, etc. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and all of us are adults, (or at least pretty close to legal age) so please act accordingly. We can share our thoughts and knowledge without resorting to name calling.

Please?

If the question posed ( how many have been sued) isn't answered by someone who HAS been sued, then we should presume that either there are none...here..., or those that may have been sued do not wish to, or may not be allowed to, discuss it.

I'd like to recommend trying to contact John Bianchi, one of THE premier holster makers, and ask him. He's been doing this for a long time, and as a "big name" holster maker, may have some insight.

Edited by TwinOaks

I don't carry homeowners' insurance because I look forward to my house burning down. I don't carry car insurance because I want to be in an accident. I don't carry a handgun because I want to be in a gunfight. I just find that reasonable levels of insurance are better to have and not need than to need and not have.

As a retired law enforcement officer I have experienced being a defendant in several lawsuits, having those civil claims recorded on my credit history, trying to get a mortgage or auto loan with a multi-million dollar claim hanging over my head, and relying upon legal counsel retained by others to represent those interests while also purporting to represent my interests. I have found myself bouncing around to lawyers' offices for depositions, driving halfway across the state to sit in the hallway of a courthouse all day and be sent home without testifying, all in response to a hand-written pro se lawsuit filed by a convict serving time and looking for something to entertain himself with. The last BS lawsuit that I had to deal with kept me fairly busy for 4 years after my retirement!

Here is the long and short of it: Anyone can file a lawsuit, and they don't have to prove a damned thing to do it. If you don't respond, if you don't cross all the T's and dot all the I's in a timely fashion, they will get a judgement against you. Your neighbor's wife can sue you for divorce, despite the fact that you have never been married to her, and if you fail to respond and defend the claim, you neighbor's wife can get your life savings, your retirement accounts, custody of your children, and your dog, along with judgements for ongoing payments for the rest of your life.

Protect yourself. Insurance is a very inexpensive way to provide yourself with legal representation in the event of a liability claim.

My business is incorporated under the laws of my state. I carry a business liability insurance policy (which costs much less than you might imagine), and I don't accept orders for items that show any signs of being unsafe under any conditions.

I will continue to carry homeowners' insurance, car insurance, business insurance, and a good handgun every day. Your methods may vary.

Edited by Lobo

I'm honestly not trying to fuel the fire on this subject but...

I think one of the things that might be sitting uncomfortably in peoples stomachs over this issue and contributing to the argument over carrying insurance or not is cost. After all if it's within your budget why wouldn't you carry insurance on your business.

So if it's ok to ask those of you that do carry insurance, how much do you pay (monthly, annualy, etc.)? This might help give people an average that would help them weigh out the costs and find out if they do enough business to pay for insurance without going in the hole over a couple holsters/sheaths. It might help people figure out at what point their business will have grown enough to start carrying a policy.

And yes I understand that it would cost you alot more to be sued without a policy than with one but for the sake of the question we can leave that out.

Also Lobo pointed out a very good point. Be aware of who you're doing business with. I know you can't judge a book by its cover but you can usually get a pretty good idea about a person by talking with them about the order they are wanting to make. I've come to learn that you can usually find out alot about an order or sale and how its going to come out from the first time you talk with that person. If problems arise from the start, they're probably going to show up again later and you'll end up spending more time and money with that one customer and taking a loss on the order when you could have spent that time on another. This isn't always the case but it seems to be the majority of the time.

Sorry to get away from my original question.

There is an aire of liability in all the products that we make. I have run into this in saddlemaking as well as holsters. The best way to assure that accountability is not your is to have the individual sign a waiver, or simply attach a card stating that the liability falls upon the user, and that the manufacturer only assumes responsibility of any manufacturing defects. I have designed and manufactured holsters for duty, pleasure and concealment and everyone of them leaving my shopare tagged with cards making this statement. Of course there is probably a lawyer that would find a loophole that would convict, however, by attaching the card to the product, the consumer has to physically remove it, making them liable for misuse. My cards also state that the product id designed for professional use, and that the intensional misuse of this product voids any warranty or repair. Add on the back side the care instructions for leather and they usually keep the card for future reference. I know each country differs, and we cannot forget about state laws, as well as county and local ordinances. Those just place more confusion, so don't concern yourself... I hope this is as clear as mud...

Daniel

I had a talk with an attorney friend on this point, one who knows product liability fairly well.

In my case I'm particularly worried because some of the positions on the belt my setup allows are not just unconventional but have some extra hazards. Muzzle pointed slightly into the hip area when seated for example, or off-hand draws that cause the muzzle to cross not just your body but dangerous areas of your bod - femoral arteries, lower gut, genitals, etc.

Providing explicit warning as to the hazards and benefits of each possible option IS a defense against getting successfully sued. It does help in court. Stands to reason, that's likely why the most lawsuit-adverse gun manufacturer (Ruger) does the infamous "billboards" on the barrel.

So...if you can't afford insurance, you might want to spend the time to do a written or video manual of operations, optimal draw types and safety information. Do it as a video, post it on youtube, put a link on a piece of paper with the holster. Or put the video on a CD. Whatever. I have it on good authority it'll help.

Another one who not wanting to add fuel to the fire-but, would you also add in those that make knife sheaths? No trigger finger other finger to worry about. Cross draw/behind the back/hip carry/normal position sheaths. All of these have the same potential for going wrong. I do leather as a hobby not a business. Yes I've made a holster and various knife sheaths. I guess the possibility of someone pulling a wallet I made and dropping it, then tripping over it and blame me because I made the wallet is possible. Once I make the move from hobby to business then I'll get insurance to cover it.

charlie

i did google"holster makers sued" results Results 1 - 10 of about 70,100 for holster makers sued. (0.17 seconds)

lots of strange stuff out their

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988087 it does happen

http://forums.officer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-112097.html design change because cops were shotting themselves in the foot.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2343934/posts part way down trigger guard blamed

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/chavez-223315-gun-holster.html kid shoots cop

I recall a case where a guy fell down and stabbed himself with the knife he was carrying in a nylon sheath. I can't remember the details but I do know it isn't unheard of.

Another one who not wanting to add fuel to the fire-but, would you also add in those that make knife sheaths? No trigger finger other finger to worry about. Cross draw/behind the back/hip carry/normal position sheaths. All of these have the same potential for going wrong. I do leather as a hobby not a business. Yes I've made a holster and various knife sheaths. I guess the possibility of someone pulling a wallet I made and dropping it, then tripping over it and blame me because I made the wallet is possible. Once I make the move from hobby to business then I'll get insurance to cover it.

charlie

i did google"holster makers sued" results Results 1 - 10 of about 70,100 for holster makers sued. (0.17 seconds)

lots of strange stuff out their

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988087 it does happen

http://forums.officer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-112097.html design change because cops were shotting themselves in the foot.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2343934/posts part way down trigger guard blamed

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/chavez-223315-gun-holster.html kid shoots cop