Sign in to follow this  
CajunMojo

Additional Tools

Greetings everyone! I am new here. I am a merchant seaman by trade, I do a lot of fancy knot work and some basic stuff out of leather. I was wonder what basic tools, one needs to get a little deeper into leather work. I have read the posts. I do not want any do stamps, or tooling at this point. I like making plain rustic items. I already have rulers, knives, needles, waxed thread, some punches, over stitch wheel. Any suggestions on additional tools or making my own? I ordered the Al Stohlman books, Hand Sewing Leather and the Cases series Vol 1 &2. Going to make a stitching pony soon. Any input would be helpful. Oh is there anyone in Utah that I could learn from?

Hi, C.M. -

Welcome to Leatherworker.net. It sounds like you have many of the basic items needed to get started. Here are some other tools and supplies to consider: an awl, a mallet or maul, an edger, a skiver, an edge slicker, a head knife (or leather shears), a stitching groover, and snap and rivet setters.

I'm guessing I missed a few things, and maybe others will chime in.

Good luck! -Alex

p.s. Here are a couple of members from Utah...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23745

I just upgraded my edgers to Barry King. I may be willing to sell the older one. They are C.S. Osbornes. I would also consider contacting the 'Bearman' a member on here and picking up one of his nice mauls.