I just finished my first holster. Any input on what I need to improve on will be greatly appreciated.

DSCN0838.jpg

DSCN0846.jpg

post-11174-12742324084_thumb.jpg

post-11174-127423242757_thumb.jpg

I just finished my first holster. Any input on what I need to improve on will be greatly appreciated.

That's not a bad start. I would suggest that you remove the leather between the back of the trigger guard and the front strap of the grip so it is easier to get a full grip during the draw. Keep at it and show us some pics of your results.

Hi bz.........Good effort for your first holster, but I agree with Boomstick, you need to allow yourself the ability to get a better grip. I also notice that your Colt appears to be on a negative cant, ie. the butt is tilted toward the rear. This is fine.....if you draw that way, but if you draw as most of us do, you may find that the gun hangs up or drags as you draw and your arm starts forward. Also, the cant may well allow the butt of your gun to stick out a bit or 'print' more than you want. Finally, the hammer is well exposed, allowing it to catch on the lining of a jacket or on the tail of a loose shirt. On a personal note: I have carried for a long time (I was a LEO for 35 years, and I still carry most of the time) and have found that a pancake holster isn't quite as comfy and concealable as many think. I very often carry a J-Frame Smith and have found that a simple pouch type holster, well molded with a forward cant, a wide belt loop, and a hammer shroud not only keeps the gun in close to my chubbies but allows for a good grip as I draw. As to 'printing', my holster doesn't 'print' anymore than a pancake IMO, BUT, you must dress to conceal. It is very difficult to conceal a weapon in most people's everyday, run around jeans and t-shirt.......or light weight summer wear. I'm enclosing a couple of pics of one of my normal J-Frame holsters. Now, all that said, take from it what you will, you may well find that my opinions and observations are worth just what you paid for them, but please don't take them as any form of "put down' on your efforts or abilities. Mike

003-5.jpg

004-7.jpg