bjbwt2

Attaching J-hooks to tuckable

Hello,

I'm new here and am in the process of making my first holster. I will post pictures when it is done. I do have a question though... could one of you share how you attach J-hooks to a tuckable holster? Chicago screws seem like they might losen over time, but rivets don't seem like they would work well either.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi bjbwt2.

I use an 8x32 t-nut through the leather, an 8x32 bugle head cap screw in a counter-sunk washer through the j-hook, and a rubber washer and a star lock-washer between the j-hook anc the leather. I apply blue lok-tite to the screws before I ship the holsters.

Hi bjbwt2.

I use an 8x32 t-nut through the leather, an 8x32 bugle head cap screw in a counter-sunk washer through the j-hook, and a rubber washer and a star lock-washer between the j-hook anc the leather. I apply blue lok-tite to the screws before I ship the holsters.

Boom stick,

I'm a little confused about the use of a t-nut to attach these j-hooks. I looked at a few of your IWB holsters on your website (which look awesome)...it looks like you place the T-nut between the two pieces of leather so it only engages the outer piece of leather in order to hide it as well as keep it from rubbing on the wearer's skin. How can you get this to work with just one piece of leather and the J-hook? It seems like the smallest t-nuts I can find are all too long to accomodate just one piece of leather and a j-hook. Also, do you use the toothed t-nut that pokes into the leather or just a generic flat t-nut?

Thanks.

You can use either a flat t-nut or a pronged t-nut. When it is going through only one layer of leather I cut the prongs shorter with some snips. As long as the t-nuts have no burs they are completely comfortable against your skin. If the barrel of the t-nut is way too long I hold it with some vise grips and sand it shorter on a drum sander. You should try to get a rubber washer thick enough to cover the exposed barrel of the t-nut so there is enough space to tuck a shirt behind.

Edited by BOOMSTICKHolsters