mike59

Pricing Of Hand Carved Belts

I think the real issue here is the amount of time it is taking. I can't imagine needing to put 35 to 40 hours into a belt unless it has completely laced edges and very intricate carving and maybe some inlays or something like that. So if it's taking you 35 to 40 hours just to do a carved belt then you need to look at why it's taking so long. What you need to do is go find some people to hang out with that can completely shatter your concept of speed. One of the people that did this for me was Bill Gomer watching him do a whole basket stamped belt in three minutes or there abouts totally changed my perspective.

Another thing I would suggest that you do is read Paul Burnett's lessons on this forum. They are an absolute gold mine and actually the best instruction on carving I have ever seen. One of the biggest detriments to speed in carving is not focusing on the proper things Paul Burnett's lessons are teaching exactly what to focus on.

You need to ask yourself if there is anything you can do in your drawing to aid in the speed. Now if you do have a really high-end market and you can get over thousand dollars for a belt you don't need to worry about this but those markets are very limited and I think the old rule: Build for the classes live with the masses. Build for the masses live with the classes holds true in the leather working world. Now if your just doing it as a hobby and you're enjoying it who cares. I have posted of a picture of a entry-level show saddle that I just designed. Everything on the saddle was designed for speed in carving. The drawing of the saddle took me about five hours and the carving took about 20 for the entire saddle. Even at that the carving time was a little beyond what I would've liked for the market I am targeting. My point is that as you develop your skills you can actually learn to draw to a price point. Doing this is nowhere near as fun as just trying to fulfill the deepest of your imagination's desires but it does pay the bills.

David Genadek

post-999-127741682886_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Genadek

I want to sincerely thank all of you who took the time and effort to respond to my post. I have learned a great deal from your comments and suggestions, and want to you to know that I am much obliged.

Mike