Sign in to follow this  
anne newkold

Al Shelton, Artist To The Stars

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=137099%40kcbs.dayport.com

This was very sad news to hear when I got home. Sandi called me and told me it was on the news today. Two weeks before his 90th birthday celebration.

Sons of witches! Sad news especially on his upcoming celebration! Thanks for Sharing Anne

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=137099%40kcbs.dayport.com

This was very sad news to hear when I got home. Sandi called me and told me it was on the news today. Two weeks before his 90th birthday celebration.

I feel sick about this. I didn't know Mr. Shelton, but I read every one of his articles he wrote for the "Make It With Leather" magazine. The man is fantastic and a walking history lesson and some dude probably wanting money for drugs, broke in and broke his heart. His article on how he did one of his buckles was really interesting. The used the lost wax method, at least I think that's what it was called. He would also mention off handedly who all in Hollywood he made things for. Wish I could be there for his birthday bash coming up, but I think it might be a little subdued affair.

I feel sick about this. I didn't know Mr. Shelton, but I read every one of his articles he wrote for the "Make It With Leather" magazine. The man is fantastic and a walking history lesson and some dude probably wanting money for drugs, broke in and broke his heart. His article on how he did one of his buckles was really interesting. The used the lost wax method, at least I think that's what it was called. He would also mention off handedly who all in Hollywood he made things for. Wish I could be there for his birthday bash coming up, but I think it might be a little subdued affair.

I had the extreme pleasure of spending several hrs with him one day at his shop. He spent hrs telling me his history and about his art work. Lately I have been carving a lot of his patterns.

I had the extreme pleasure of spending several hrs with him one day at his shop. He spent hrs telling me his history and about his art work. Lately I have been carving a lot of his patterns.

Lucky you. I know several people have approached him to put out a book with his patterns and pictures, but so far he hasn't done anything with it as far as I know. If he did put out a book, I'd be one of the first ones in line to get it.

When I started leather crafting back in the early 70's, there were two names that were always mentioned; Al Stohlman was one and Al Shelton was the other. Stohlman was good in his own way, but I always felt that the other Al always had a story to tell about what he was making. Other names were also dropped, like Ken Griffen and F.O. Baird, but it was the two Al's that were featured in "Make It With Leather". I was really disappointed when Bill Ries took over the magazine after it folded and didn't have any more of the Al Shelton articles featured.

sad someone with so much talent and up in age is victimized like that

sad someone with so much talent and up in age is victimized like that

It's a crime and it happens all the time. The elderly are easy targets due to their age, and the thief is a coward to select them instead of .... say a football player. One reads about crimes against the elderly almost every day. One of my aunts was a victum by someone who befriended her and did nice things for her. After awhile they were able to get into her checking account, have their names placed on deeds and wills and such. Whether it's that sort of a crime or someone breaking into a house of an older person, it's still wrong. My son, when I told him about it, said that the thief will have a hard time trying to sell that stuff. Especially now that's it's been on the news. Hope they get the SOB soon and put him away for a long time.

Hope they get the SOB soon and put him away for a long time.

Head knives, and Skivers, and punches........and just a little alone time with the POS.