Rickyd

Howdy

Hi all. I found this forum a few weeks back when looking for some leatherworking info. Thank you for much interesting tech info and definitely for the inspiring work. I didn't even realize there were other places to find tools than Tandy!

I have been playing with leather and hides since I first made a braintan deerhide a couple of decades ago. I have done a few quivers, bags, handles, sheaths, and most recently made a set of leather carrying tubes for knitting needles. these 12" tubes are from 4-5oz cowhide, hand-stitched with curved awl and needles, over a 1" dia dowel form, the ends punched and laminated and sewed, the caps done similarly over the same dowel with scrap leather taped in place to get the necessary diameter. The Sam Browne studs are lined on the inside to prevent scratching. Dyed after construction. I admit they are somewhat crude; my thread is too large in diameter and my technique is in need of improvement (tho I noticed that the third one was way better than the first! the first, in fact, was made from 5oz chrome-tan and is not shown here, and pushing an awl through this was like pushing it through a tire. The veg-tan is way easier.). One (at least!) remaining issue is dealing with the glue line that shows through the dye.

I may make a few more like this since I have had discussions with musicians regarding a flute case and drumsticks cases, so I appreciate your comments.

figured out the sizing issues for photos...

Cheers, Rick

post-15069-127705602802_thumb.jpg

post-15069-127705602875_thumb.jpg

post-15069-127705602932_thumb.jpg

post-15069-127705602996_thumb.jpg

post-15069-127705603054_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rickyd

Welcome, Rick! Glad you found us.

Maybe you see something wrong in these, but I sure don't. I Like the way they look, and are put together. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

good lookin' work.

proud mutt