Sign in to follow this  
Sharpshooter

Skiver Setup

Hey...

I have a new blade for my old American Hand Crank Skiver. It works much like the skiver on the Landis 3-1 and 5-1.

I'm resigned to the fact that I have a better chance of stuffing snowballs up a wildcat's butt than I do of finding a manual for the machine; but I KNOW someone here knows how it's supposed to be set-up.

There is a depth of cut adjustment as well as angle AND the ability of moving the blade closer of further from the rollers. I'm sure I can stumble into the sweet spot, but the correct procedure will make it easier and faster.

On the Americans I have had and the Landis I currently use, there is a forward stop for the blade. Like my crank splitter, the blade pushes up against them on the corners and is held there by the back screw. That sets the blade relationship to the rollers. The biggest problems I have had with two I looked at that "weren't skiving, the leather just goes under or over the blade" were back off the stops. Getting the blade pushed up there solved the problem.

The other adjustments control the height of the blade on either side and so the angle of the blade. That is where just playing with scraps will tell you which to adjust. Once I get one skiving, I leave the one side just change the other if I need to change angles. I will say that I rarely do that though. I mostly get the angle set and leave it though.

On the Americans I have had and the Landis I currently use, there is a forward stop for the blade. Like my crank splitter, the blade pushes up against them on the corners and is held there by the back screw. That sets the blade relationship to the rollers. The biggest problems I have had with two I looked at that "weren't skiving, the leather just goes under or over the blade" were back off the stops. Getting the blade pushed up there solved the problem.

The other adjustments control the height of the blade on either side and so the angle of the blade. That is where just playing with scraps will tell you which to adjust. Once I get one skiving, I leave the one side just change the other if I need to change angles. I will say that I rarely do that though. I mostly get the angle set and leave it though.

Thanks Bruce...

You're referring to actual stops for the front (edge) of the blade? I'll have to look at it in the morning to be sure, but I don't recall seeing anything like what I'm imagining.

I believe there are screws on either side of the blade to hold it down and a thumbscrew on the back (opposite end of the edge).

I have the machine taken completely apart at the moment, going to sandblast the body for a repaint and clean up the mechanicals. The rollers have some play and slop that needs to be taken care of so the machine can give us another eighty years.

Yes, when I slide the blade in mine, there is a small lip on the left side facing the machine and that sets the front edge of the blade. That lip is part of the piece that holds the feedwheel. I tighten the back screw to keep it up there and the side screws to hold it down. One caveat, I can't remember which one, but I have had Champions and maybe an American 3 in 1 and a couple American and couple Landis crank skivers. On one of them the blade was a tad narrower, maybe a little over 1/8". If you have a narrow blade it might go past the stop. They don't catch much blade.

Got it on the my Landis 3 in 1

Landis_Front_Stop.sized.jpg

The American Skiver is an old timer...

American_Skiver.sized.jpg

The blade isn't as wide and there's nothing at all that looks like a stop.

American_Skiver_No_Stop.sized.jpg

Thanks to your help on the Landis, I think I can SWAG the blade placement to get a baseline.

It's completely disassembled and sandblasted, tomorrow a wipedown, blow off and base coat of paint.

I'll post pics when it's all done and back in service.