Angster

Some New Leather Mugs

Well, we're past our annual Renaissance Faire, and have some new mug designs.

post-8561-127905990126_thumb.jpg post-8561-12790599026_thumb.jpg

The Sun-N-Moon mug was a proof of concept mug. If I make another one, the gap in the handle needs to be more narrow and the molded sun doesn't need to protrude quite as far. Other than that, I really like how the barrel came out blending from sky blue to midnight with the stars, and I really dig the moon on the handle. Maybe next time tool it a bit deeper.

post-8561-127905989992_thumb.jpg

The Harlequin mug was pretty much for my fun. Again, critiquing my work, the face could have been molded better, but came out looking more like a mask, so uhn... Now I'm thinking about making some Mardi Gras mugs with masks, little leather feathers and beads (oooh, beads... Finally figured out something to do with all those leather pills from my hole punch).

Hope you enjoy the pictures and maybe get some ideas for yourselves to play with!

You've reminded me that I have a double boiler full of beeswax in my shop now. Time to give these a try!

The Sun-N-Moon mug was a proof of concept mug. If I make another one, the gap in the handle needs to be more narrow and the molded sun doesn't need to protrude quite as far. Other than that, I really like how the barrel came out blending from sky blue to midnight with the stars, and I really dig the moon on the handle. Maybe next time tool it a bit deeper.

The Harlequin mug was pretty much for my fun. Again, critiquing my work, the face could have been molded better, but came out looking more like a mask, so uhn... Now I'm thinking about making some Mardi Gras mugs with masks, little leather feathers and beads (oooh, beads... Finally figured out something to do with all those leather pills from my hole punch).

Hope you enjoy the pictures and maybe get some ideas for yourselves to play with!

Angster , see what you meen about the top of the handle being lower will giv that a go next time, i normaly dont like painted leather much but you have just changed my mind.... i like the Harlequin best, good stuff as we would expect from you,

Regards, Steve.

Hi Guys,

I have been working on these mugs as well but I don't have anything to show yet. I am having trouble with the lining/sealer. In my opinion, the inside is a little too sticky (your lips stick to the rim). I am using a 50/50 mix, by weight, of pitch to wax. The pitch seems to be the sticky element here so I was wondering if increasing the wax and lowering the pitch would remove the stickiness.

Have either of you had similar issues? Can you suggest a better ratio?

Any help is appreciated.

Jason

When forming the deep relief on the appliqued masks, did you use a wooden form? A pitch pot? A sand box? How did you get that much depth?

I've done some wet forming recently but I don't generally get that much depth. I've got a couple projects lined up that will require it and I'd love to hear your techniques for deep forming as well as how to bring out more detail in a relief piece.

Yours,

The newest guy here

Sorry it's been awhile since I checked this forum...

As for the pitch/wax percentages, I aim for a 50/50 mix because it's easy. If I add pitch, add some wax. I believe I probably add more wax than pitch at times, so maybe 55/45, 60/40 in favor of the wax. I can't remember where I first read it, but I've seen some instructions where they talk about a 4/1 ratio (I'm assuming wax over pitch here). Anyway, The mixture is to take advantage of the better points of each (the strength of the wax, the flexibility of the pitch). You should be fine dropping the amount of pitch to a minimum, just be aware that you're increasing the chances of cracking the seal.

As for molding the faces, I used sculpey clay to make the face, then molded the leather to it. When dry, I kind of 'tack' stitched the faces onto the mug (a couple of stitches in 4 or 5 places around the edge of the face). For the sun face, I stitched along the edges of the sun rays to hold the face to the mug. On both, there's an empty space behind the face. I just rely on how stiff the leather becomes after it's been wax-saturated.