Sign in to follow this  
digitone

Sandals

Hey everyone! I've been having such a great time here. I made a couple belts and have had requests already to make some for family and friends. Currently in the process of making some vinegaroon to make some black ones. Now i'm on a mission to make sandals. I have a question for all you experienced sandal makers. How do you go about attaching the straps on the sandal without showing rivets/nails etc on the outside? I'm attempting to make a Flip-Flop thong style sandal. I've looked and looked but with no luck. The only way I can think if rivets and nails are required is somehow lining over the whole top sole to hide them. huh.gif im stumped hehe

Two piece sole with the straps sandwiched between them exiting to the sides thinned out to prevent lumps and then glue and sew the top and bottom together around the perimeter. While not flip flops this pic shows the sandwich idea and perimeter sewing.

post-4868-072759500 1282310443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

Two piece sole with the straps sandwiched between them exiting to the sides thinned out to prevent lumps and then glue and sew the top and bottom together around the perimeter. While not flip flops this pic shows the sandwich idea and perimeter sewing.

Did you use sole leather for the bottom? I made my wife a pair and used sole leather on the bottom and they are way to hard...

I used a piece of saddle skirting that was on the scrap sale bench at my local tandy shop.

Tandy has an e-book on sandal making. I have the book that they offered in the early 70's and found that it is pretty informative. Here is the URL http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/ebooks/EB-10011.aspx?feature=Product_13

Jim

Hey everyone! I've been having such a great time here. I made a couple belts and have had requests already to make some for family and friends. Currently in the process of making some vinegaroon to make some black ones. Now i'm on a mission to make sandals. I have a question for all you experienced sandal makers. How do you go about attaching the straps on the sandal without showing rivets/nails etc on the outside? I'm attempting to make a Flip-Flop thong style sandal. I've looked and looked but with no luck. The only way I can think if rivets and nails are required is somehow lining over the whole top sole to hide them. huh.gif im stumped hehe