Sign in to follow this  
kilted13

Hobbiest Noob

Hello everyone, just a quick intro. My interest in leather working is mostly from a hobby stand point, but if I can get good enough to make it pay for itself, fine by me!

I work in a high burn out, high stress industry, where the ones who last have lives outside of and unrelated to work, and so far, I lack that. And I'm already a tad addicted to my work, so I need a healthy distraction. Leatherwork seems like a solid choice because it requires dedication and patience, and it seems to have a contemplative aspect to it. Plus I get to learn, which is always a pleasure! I plan on learning braiding, and eventually carving, but in the mean time I will stick with belts and the like. A buddy of mine makes custom knives, and he used to do a lot of leather sheaths (these days it's mostly kydex) and he has a few tools and some knowledge I can take advantage of. In fact I made a few belts a while back with his tools and guidance, with mixed results (burgundy latigo from tandy will color your pants/ utilikilt). Ultimately I would also like to learn to sew finer goods, like bags, garments, and my ultimate ambition, some driving gloves, but we'll see.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Sean (kilted)

Welcome to the forum Sean!

There's a lot of people here willing to help if they can, just ask!