Sign in to follow this  
bullwhips

Tandy Kangaroo

On Thursday I stopped by my local Tandy to pick up some kip and the manager told me that Tandy is now selling whole kangaroo skins. The skins they sell are dry, and expensive, if you can get over that they aren't bad skins. I bought one try out and here's what I made with it:

bullwhip_-whiskey_1_092410.jpg

bullwhip_-whiskey_2_092410.jpg

It's alway nice to have a local source of skins...however due to the "pain in the butt-ness" of having to grease them myself I'd rather get drum stuffed skins. Because of that (and price) I see Tandy as an alternative source for roo skins, not my primary. However it's always nice to be able to go in and actually see the skins before you buy them!

Has anyone else tried the skins that Tandy sells?

Louie

Edited by bullwhips

Up till now I have only tried out their Goat Skin. That's not too bad. Kind of like working with Raw Hide in away. Takes a little less dampness to work with it. But over all good skin. Now that you have brought Kangaroo up and they are selling it, I will have to give it a try, I think. I just got done ordering 2 hides from Taubman & Webb in Australia. Can't wait to get my hands on them. I'm slobbering already.

Brian...

Hi Louie

If you go to the KHWW Site Richard Taubman is advertising his skins there . ( You may wish to email him or set up a time to Skype 0

You will find him to be an honest guy and very helpful ( You can mention my name if you wish )

They are the best selection from Australian and are hand picked by Richard himself prior to export . He is a whipmaker himself as well as a Grazier who resides in Australia the state of NSW. If you discus your requirements as to your needs you will find that you will in future go nowhere else. His Hides are far superior to what you are probably used to, and as a whipemaker your self you will have something in common to talk about

He recognises the fact that the USA needs somebody to export quality skins for sale

Never ventured nothing gained

ps I wouldnt put my name to his business if I didn't think h was the best

Hollywood

On Thursday I stopped by my local Tandy to pick up some kip and the manager told me that Tandy is now selling whole kangaroo skins. The skins they sell are dry, and expensive, if you can get over that they aren't bad skins. I bought one try out and here's what I made with it:

bullwhip_-whiskey_1_092410.jpg

bullwhip_-whiskey_2_092410.jpg

It's alway nice to have a local source of skins...however due to the "pain in the butt-ness" of having to grease them myself I'd rather get drum stuffed skins. Because of that (and price) I see Tandy as an alternative source for roo skins, not my primary. However it's always nice to be able to go in and actually see the skins before you buy them!

Has anyone else tried the skins that Tandy sells?

Louie

Hollywood,

I've got several sources for roo that I use that I get good skins and a good price. I've gotten from Taubman before as well.

I was surprised that Tandy was selling again and tried out one of their skins...and while they aren't bad skins, the dry and price are deal breakers for me... I"m going to stick with my current suppliers.

Louie