GaryK

Glass Slicker

Hi Looking into making me a Glass Slicker or have one mad was wondering what is a good size and do u use just one size? or a couple different sizes? Thank You in advance for any help you can give me.

Gary

Edited by GaryK

The one I saw at Tandy was around 4x5 inches and looked around .250" thick. If you were closer I would give you some .250" thick glass that I have, I literally have tons of it. I would suggest using plate glass, not tempered. Glass loses 80% of it strength when scratched, or chipped. Plate glass may chip, but it won't shatter like tempered will. A local glass shop may have some scraps that you could use. I myself have never used one, but I am thinking of making one to try out, since I have tons of glass.

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents, I use a piece of finished ash that is 4x5 and is a little under 3/4 of an inch. I shaped it into a torpedo shape so that I could also use it for transferring craftaids as well. I stained it and then topcoated with 10 or 12 coats of poly to give it that slick surface. I have only tried the glass ones at Tandy but am always afraid of clinking them too hard on the granite and breaking them.