I have never achieved what I really want, and that is a finish that kinda "glows". Like it has a life of its own under the finish, like an old saddle, just classic looking in natural red brown tones. You know the way it makes you want to touch it? The color has a depth to it, and isnt necessarily consistent. It may have lighter and darker streaks or qualities to it. I have seen it replicated, but I've been unable to do it my self.

Dyes? Paste? Antique gels or stains? I dunno. Ideally I want to be able to apply finishes like this to concealed carry holsters and knife sheaths. I will probably be using an oak carving and holster leather, and/or horse hide.

I appreciate any advice, Thank you!

Brad.

Tan Kote, Bag Kote, Leather Balm, Carnuba cream, and there's something else, but I can't remember what it is. These products will allow the character of the leather to show through very well. You can also use an acrylic finish, but it needs to wear a while to achieve the right "glow". Many of the acrylics will have a 'plastic' look and feel to them when first applied.

Thank you, there are a few there I havent tried yet!

Do you find that a particular combination works better with a certain dye or stain?

I like Bag Kote followed up with Fiebings Aussie Leather Conditioner with Beeswax. Buff to that mellow glow.

Good deal! Thanks!