Sign in to follow this  
TwinOaks

Suitability of Eco-All in One

Howdy folks,

I'm working on a set of show reins and trying to match the color of a bridle. So far, the closest match, on leather, appears to be 'fudge brown' in the 'All-in-One' stains. Given Eco- dye's tendency to run when wet, does anyone have input as to the suitability of the All n 1 for reins? I know that this is a stain, not a dye, but I still worry. Plus, as the Eco includes a 'finish' for the leather, how well will the leather take conditioner/ oil?

I'll be making a stop by Tandy later this week, and trying to match the color swatches. If the Eco isn't up to the task (I suspect this), which would be better, spirit or oil?

And oh, what joy I'll have if I have to mix the colors.....

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Howdy folks,

I'm working on a set of show reins and trying to match the color of a bridle. So far, the closest match, on leather, appears to be 'fudge brown' in the 'All-in-One' stains. Given Eco- dye's tendency to run when wet, does anyone have input as to the suitability of the All n 1 for reins? I know that this is a stain, not a dye, but I still worry. Plus, as the Eco includes a 'finish' for the leather, how well will the leather take conditioner/ oil?

I'll be making a stop by Tandy later this week, and trying to match the color swatches. If the Eco isn't up to the task (I suspect this), which would be better, spirit or oil?

And oh, what joy I'll have if I have to mix the colors.....

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike, as with any "all-in-one" product (either eco-flo, or otherwise), it is suggested to use a sealing coat of some sort. I tend to use neatlac, but supershene (sprayed, preferably, so the product doesn't blotch/splotch/run) adds to a nicer finish overall. Especially, any product that is water-based that will be used in an enviroment that could get wet & run (i.e., coasters, leather covered tankard outsides, etc), should be water-proofed)... For reins, Pecards would work better (probably) than neatlac or supershene...

I'm with whinewhine on this one. Definitely use a finish. I've used Satin Shene, but put it on lightly because it'll take off the All-In-One if you scrub it in. Regarding conditioner, I've found that neatsfoot oil is the most compatible with the Eco-Flo products. Don't try Lexol -- it'll strip the finish.

And the best piece of advice I can give.... Be sure to try any new combination on scrap first!

-Alex