Sign in to follow this  
lazybum

Newbie Question On Mallets

Hi

I'm new to leatherworking and i'm currently in the process of gathering the tools needed. The only mallets ive found so far that arn't metal are rubber mallets. May i know if this kind of mallet is suitable for leatherwork?

Hi! I know the situation, so I made my own out of hardwood (oak) and a shaft of not so hard wood (birch), and got it well balanced to my armstrength. Then I found out about Tandy ........

Terix

No, I tried one in the beginning and it absorbs the impact that should be going into your tools.

Have fun,

Kevin

I'd check Tandy or Barry King Tools and get a mallet that's designed for what you'll be using it for. It will make your life easier and leather work so much more fun!

Here is what to look for from a normal tool/ hardware store. Maybe try Right Tools on Orchard road? A rawhide or Poly mallet is the best bet for starting off with something you should be able to find at a local tool store. Good luck!

Alright ill check Right Tools out.

May also ask if a poly or wooden mallet is more suitable? Right now i won't be doing a lot of tooling, mostly punching holes and setting stuff. Also, does the diameter of the head matter a lot?

Edited by lazybum

Alright ill check Right Tools out.

May also ask if a poly or wooden mallet is more suitable? Right now i won't be doing a lot of tooling, mostly punching holes and setting stuff. Also, does the diameter of the head matter a lot?

If you're going to be just punching holes and setting rivets and stuff look for something with the weight to make the task easy. I have a two pound/ one kilo maul that I use for the big jobs and then several smaller mallets for stamping. You might want to consider a poly or rawhide mallet and even the sculpture artists maul might work if it is heavy enough to do what you want to do. I was thinking to myself that there isn't a wrong choice except for a metal hammer. That would cause damage to your tools. So try whatever you have available and good luck.