Ian

Bleaching Before Re-Dyeing

Merry Christmas everyone

Here's the issue/problem I'm dealing with; A seat I did a couple of years ago came back for re-dyeing. The leather and tooling is still in good shape, but the dye is faded and there are all kinds of spots, water marks, etc. I'd like to bleach it out as much as possible before re-dyeing it. I tried a spot of straight regular clorox on the underside and it lightened it up quite a bit, and was thinking of removing the cover and painting the bleach on heavily, then rinsing it off. What do you think the downside of doing it that way might be? I'm also thinking of trying oxalic acid since I've seen that topic mentioned before. Either way, I'm not happy that when I redye, it will color the white stitching, which I really liked on the tan, but I can't see how I can avoid that.

If anyone has had experience with removing dye, I'd appreciate hearing the how-to.

Here's the then and now pics

Thanks much,

Ian

post-6120-008451500 1293256292_thumb.jpg

post-6120-033069800 1293256654_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ian

I gotta say, you do some fine werx there! I don't have experience with that type of redyeing, usually when I do the redye stuff, I go a darker color. Not much help for you, it is just that your werx really stands out!!! Keep the good werx going!!! You are sooo there!!!!