ramrod

Newb From New York

Hello all. My name is Tim. I live in Syracuse. I've been lurking for a few days and was totally amazed at the information and skill level that is exhibited on this forum. I've learned a lot about technique, design ideas as well as supplier information. It was love at first sight, so I couldn't help but to register and gt involved.

For about 10 years now I've been an enthusiast, but I've wanted to greatly improve my skill level. This forum affords that opportunity.

I'm really excited about asking questions and posting.

Hey, ramrod. Glad to see you found us.

Asking questions teaches us all, so ask away, and don't forget to show us the stuff you make. There's lots of people here who showed us their first things, and we watch in amazement as they progress.

Well, hi, Tim. I'm Dave, right in your neck of the woods, over in Utica. I hit up the Tandy leather on Salina street about once a month, but do a lot of my shopping at D&L Leather in Utica.

Welcome!

thanks much, guys. i appreciate the nice words.

rdb....i'll put up some pics of some of my stuff when i'm brave enough. LOL

dave....utica! cool! i used to deliver over there for my last employee. i go to robin's on salina street, too. 15 minutes away for me.

what is D&L? never heaard of them.

D&L Leather is a guy named Rocco Carzo. They're a distributor of leather and supplies to the shoemaking industry, but he also carries a ton of tools, leather and hardware for general leatherwork stuff. He's only open 8-4 on weekdays, and his prices on leather are average (but good quality) but his prices on Osborne tools, solid brass hardware and Fiebing's chemicals ($11 for a quart of dye) are amazingly low. He's on Seneca street, across from Hotel Utica. Tell him Dave sent you if you make it out there.

Tim,

Welcome to the dark side. I think you'll enjoy this site, looks like you've already found some places close by to get materials and tools. Don't worry about posting your stuff, I'm sure it looks fine and one of the ways to get better is to have folks provide tips based off what they see. You can shave years off your learning curve that way.

Ken

Welcome to the forum and greetings from Central Texas!