Sign in to follow this  
RobDude30

Glock 36 Holster

This is my first attempt with a new G36 holster pattern I've been working on. I know I need to work on the stitch lines really badly. And I need a light box because my pictures stink. Other than that, what do you think?

post-12792-038924700 1294706681_thumb.jp

post-12792-098267500 1294706708_thumb.jp

post-12792-046190600 1294706729_thumb.jp

Looks pretty good from what I can see in the pics, and the 'little things' only come with practice. The biggest thing I see is that the holster comes up a little high on the trigger guard. When you have the gun in the holster, you should be able to get a full firing grip on the weapon. If you don't, you'll end up having to adjust your grip after the draw or have a poor firing grip. This is an inconvenience in practice sessions or at the range, but could be catastrophic if you ever needed to draw for protection.

Looks pretty good from what I can see in the pics, and the 'little things' only come with practice. The biggest thing I see is that the holster comes up a little high on the trigger guard. When you have the gun in the holster, you should be able to get a full firing grip on the weapon. If you don't, you'll end up having to adjust your grip after the draw or have a poor firing grip. This is an inconvenience in practice sessions or at the range, but could be catastrophic if you ever needed to draw for protection.

Thanks for the comments. I cut the front of the pattern down just a little bit. The back already felt good, but the high front did get in the way just a tad.

Hi Rob,

Looks pretty happening other than that trigger guard issue to me. Although I draw and keep my trigger finger lined up alongside the pistol or revolver until I have it up in firing position, being able to wrap a knuckle around the grip close to the trigger guard is pretty important for me

I am interested in how you managed to shrink the leather down onto the parts of the pistol so tightly. I am working on a CCW type holster for my little 5 shot .38 Special and that is the one thing I have yet to figure out.

Jay, that's done by wet molding- Case the leather, insert SAFE weapon (or dummy gun), then start pressing the leather against it until you have molded the leather to where you want it.

Or....if you happen to have a vacuum food saver, you put the SAFE weapon in the holster, put the holster in the bag, pull a vacuum, then chase out the lines with fingers, the handles of tools, etc......while it's in the bag. Open bag, remove weapon, hang to dry.

Thanks Mike,

I appreciate the fast response and excellent information. I suppose that equates to the old "dunk it in a horse tank" approach I read about in the Al Stohlman book on holsters.

My particular Glock is the subcompact model (in case you're not familiar with the 36), and I could actually get a pretty good grip on it before cutting the front of the holster down some. It only needed a little to get a full grip without touching leather. I too have the habit of keeping my trigger finger completely straight until I'm ready to fire.

TwinOaks is dead on with the process. Just make sure your leather isn't too wet. It won't hold the shape very well if it is. I usually run the leather under the tap for just a bit, then set it aside a few minutes until some of the original color has returned. I then continue working on the details as the leather dries. It does require a good deal of practice to get a nice look. There are much nicer holsters on here than mine, but I'm getting better.

Hi Rob,

I am working on an adaptation of the Kirkpatricks' TSS holster for my little J Frame Rossi .38 Special, which I added a Hogue soft rubber three finger grip to. I set it so that the entire grip is above the holster rim as well as 2/3's of the trigger guard. I like the way the Kirkpatrick TSS carries my full sized .45 Auto, you can go all day without it weighing you down. At the same time when I comes time to present it for business, the grip is right there.

I will remember the wet forming details you guys have provided once I get it all stitched up. The general shape of the holster is pretty compact, shrinking the leather further to conform to the nooks and crannies of the revolver will just make it more so as well as aid in retention of the piece since there are no safety straps or other retention devices.