Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Failed Experiments

So I make these helmets as part of my "product line". Usually I get $125 for them (more with tooled face plates), but I thought maybe I could bring the price down if I made some from latigo, sort of an "economy model". No dyeing or slicking of edges or sealing or any of that, just cut it out, assemble and go, right? They normally take me about four hours to make, and come out like this:

DSC01469.JPG

DSC01508.JPG

DSC01358.JPG

So I bang one out of some heavy latigo I have on-hand tonight:

DSC01746.JPG

DSC01743.JPG

DSC01745.JPG

That took 3.5 hours, and it's definitely more than 12.5% uglier. I certainly can't justify selling those for the same price as the vegetable tanned leather ones, and they only take a half-hour less. Yes, there's no cost for chemicals either (dye, sealer, etc.) but those costs are pretty negligible (I get Fiebing's quarts for $11 each and spray shene for $4 a can here). All the damned time is taken up in assembly. I really wanted to be able to offer these for like $60 each, but only if I can get the production time down to two hours or so. :(

So, lesson learned. I'll sell this one for what I can get for it, and stick to making the pretty ones.

Edited by hivemind

I would wear the 3rd one on my daily commute to and from work.