Sign in to follow this  
Mike Craw

Ball-Bearing Swung Stirrups

Hey Guys!

Just as a curiosity, Carlos got a saddle into the shop for repairs with a construction neither of us had ever seen before. Rather than having the bars thinned for stirrup leathers to go around, the bars have been relieved behind the swells, and a threaded fixture inletted.

post-2291-080511000 1295462484_thumb.jpg

The top of the fenders have a hole about 1" in diameter at the top and are affixed with a ball bearing collar. The only length adjustment possible is pulling them up from the bottom where they pass through the stirrup.

post-2291-053344500 1295462623_thumb.jpg

post-2291-097082900 1295462577_thumb.jpg

The saddle is fancy stitched padded, with no carving, and so far as we can determine, no maker's mark.

It's a first for us.

Mike

M.L. Leddy patented so-fa-ride ; looks like the Silhouette ; $620.00 in 1974

The Silhouette is a new concept in styling that will appeal to those who desire the unusual. The saddle is quilted all over in lightweight glove leather. It can be made in one color or a combination of colors, with brand or initials inlaid. This will also appeal to those with a desire to design their own pattern. It is strictly a custom made saddle.

I got to answer something from the old days at last,

Kevin

Thank you Kevin! I don't think I ever saw an M L Leddy saddle im person before, and I wouldn't have known I saw one now if not for you. I'll give Carlos a call and let him know.

Mike

You'r welcome,

I scanned the page with the explanation of leather hanging and sofa-ride, but the file was too large to upload.

Kevin

Kevin,

What book was the page from?

Mike

I have a 1974 catalog, Levi's 501 $7.85; custom full ostrich boots $275.

Kevin

Hey Guys!

Just as a curiosity, Carlos got a saddle into the shop for repairs with a construction neither of us had ever seen before. Rather than having the bars thinned for stirrup leathers to go around, the bars have been relieved behind the swells, and a threaded fixture inletted.

post-2291-080511000 1295462484_thumb.jpg

The top of the fenders have a hole about 1" in diameter at the top and are affixed with a ball bearing collar. The only length adjustment possible is pulling them up from the bottom where they pass through the stirrup.

post-2291-053344500 1295462623_thumb.jpg

post-2291-097082900 1295462577_thumb.jpg

The saddle is fancy stitched padded, with no carving, and so far as we can determine, no maker's mark.

It's a first for us.

Mike