Sign in to follow this  
Ellen

Shuffles With Toes Curved Up

I have a family member annoyed by "no choice" mass produced slippers: all of them have a completely flat sole. I would like to help by making them from leather or any other readily available material, but do not know how. All I could find is how to make plain shuffles (sandals without back). On the other hand, some of the ethnic shoes have toe area shaped up (tri-part constriction, not oval with holes at perimeter and a string). Can you tell how to do that, what could be used as a not slippery water-resistant sole, and what cushioning can be added?

Thank you.

I have a family member annoyed by "no choice" mass produced slippers: all of them have a completely flat sole. I would like to help by making them from leather or any other readily available material, but do not know how. All I could find is how to make plain shuffles (sandals without back). On the other hand, some of the ethnic shoes have toe area shaped up (tri-part constriction, not oval with holes at perimeter and a string). Can you tell how to do that, what could be used as a not slippery water-resistant sole, and what cushioning can be added?

Thank you.

To make toes curl up, you need to shorten the top of the vamp so it pulls up on the toe. This is a persian toe. I don'y think it is what you want though. wedge style slipper soles could be hot knife cut and ground from thick flip flop sole . or you could even convert flip flops to slippers if you want. I makea wedge style midsole by skiving eva sheets . this done by laminating the different densities of orthopedic eva I want and skiving or grinding to my needs. This is a fair amount of work for simple slipper. If you try acor orthpedics, they have skived sole blocks for midsoles. I don't know if they sell to the general public, but it's worth a shot. Let me know, maybe I could hook you up. if you are really wanting to go that route.

Edited by moxgrove

Try and find a pattern for mocassin style slippers. all hand laced and no need for a last.

To make toes curl up, you need to shorten the top of the vamp so it pulls up on the toe. This is a persian toe. I don'y think it is what you want though. wedge style slipper soles could be hot knife cut and ground from thick flip flop sole . or you could even convert flip flops to slippers if you want. I makea wedge style midsole by skiving eva sheets . this done by laminating the different densities of orthopedic eva I want and skiving or grinding to my needs. This is a fair amount of work for simple slipper. If you try acor orthpedics, they have skived sole blocks for midsoles. I don't know if they sell to the general public, but it's worth a shot. Let me know, maybe I could hook you up. if you are really wanting to go that route.

I'm very interested in this 'persian toe'... I've seen turkish shoes or slippers with the pointed toe curling up, I imagine it would be similar. I would love to give that a try, if you have more detailed instructions or ideas to share. What are you referring to as the "vamp"?

Thanks,

i am also interested in this style of boot, i have seen similar styles of the mongolian boots. just a bump to see if anyone else has any info on this