Sign in to follow this  
ValleyEquine

First Saddle Restoration, Clueless But Trying To Learn

Hello! I am new to the forum, though I have been browsing for a bit.

I have an older saddle, purchased used, that it is need of some TLC.

Tree is solid, leather is very good, aside from one questionable area on the cantle that I may have replaced.

When I purchased the saddle, it had a hard, shiny coating, and the leather was fairly stiff. So I took it home, I cleaned it with Lexol Leather cleaner, and whatever coating was on the saddle came off. Now, the leather is much softer, but it is it a totally different color, and that color is not too even.

So, I am wanting to fix it up. I got some estimates for "restoration", but all were out of my price range, especially considering I did not pay too much for the saddle to begin with. However, one person was kind enough to tell me that I am dealing with 60's Big Horn made in Chattanooga, TN. Although there is a number/letter stamp on the skirting behind the saddle, I could not find a makers stamp. But, the latigo keeper and stirrup keepers were missing, and I know saddle makers often put there mark at these locations.

I am planning to deglaze the saddle (with Fiebing's deglazer or denatured alcohol) to start with a "clean palette". Then, I'll use the method described in another thread: Fiebing's Professional oil dye and an edge finisher, though I haven't yet decided upon a specific product, then oil, sealer, antiquer, sealer. (Making another post, probably tomorrow, in the "Dyes, Antiques, Stains, Glues, Waxes, Finishers, and Conditioners" with a few specific questions about this process.)

In preparation for this, I got a bit overeager and removed the screw below the swells. The slotted conchos were rusty, so I removed those, as well as the leather rosettes and saddle strings. I found thick staples going through the rosettes, and I thought they were holding the rosettes onto the skirting. So, I pried them out. Turns out, they were attaching the skirting to the tree.

Therefore, I have question number 1. How do I "reattach" this, once the dying process is finished. Can I use a screw back concho and screw it through the leather and into the tree? Or do I use some sort of nail/tack, and then cover it with new rosettes and conchos? If the latter, what sort of nail/tack do I use?

Next, the saddle seat has very pretty stitching, but some of the stitching is coming undone. I'd like to refinish the seat, and then restitch it. I'm assuming doing it in this order will prevent the dye from staining the thread . Or, (question 2) will waxed thread repel the dye? Question 3: since the holes are already made, do I need to use a stitching awl, or can I just use a leather sewing needle?

To be able to have easier access to the stitching on the seat, I'd like to be able to lift it off the saddle. However, it is attached by the leather covering the cheyenne roll on the cantle. Question 4: How is this leather attached? It seems to be glued...is this correct? Can I remove it? If so, how? Gently pry, or is there some sort of glue solvent?

Once I'm to this point, my plan is to replace the rigging hardware. There is a local Amish tack repairer who can re-attach the new rings and dees to the leather strapping that holds it (sorry, don't know the proper term for that part) or replace that section of leather if necessary.

Thanks for reading. I know I'm in a bit over my head, but I am doing my best to learn, and hoping with a bit of help from the very knowledgeable people here, I can come up with a satisfactory result.

Attached are some photos for reference. The latigo and off billets have already been replaced, and a section of the stitching in the skirting has been repaired, but unfortunately in a different color of thread.

DSCN0105.jpg?t=1297055960

DSCN0104.jpg?t=1297056033

DSCN0103.jpg?t=1297056122

DSCN0102.jpg?t=1297056306

DSCN0101.jpg?t=1297056392

I'm sorry to say I can't tell you much, I'm in the same boat you are. I'm currently tearing apart my saddle and finding all sorts of things, I'm just doing a cleaning and replacing rusted nails/screws just the way I found them keeping a mental note of what goes where.

Antique Saddle Restoration

I haven't read it all the way through, but there are few things in here. The funny thing is, people tell you how to take it apart, but not how to put it back together...

The Stohlman Encyclopedia of Saddle Making (All Three) and Saddlemaking: Lessons in Construction, Repair, and Evaluation by Dusty Johnson , are some books I'd like to get along with a number of dvds.

1 Therefore, I have question number 1. How do I "reattach" this, once the dying process is finished. Can I use a screw back concho and screw it through the leather and into the tree? Or do I use some sort of nail/tack, and then cover it with new rosettes and conchos? If the latter, what sort of nail/tack do I use?

You can use a screw back concho if want or put a regular screw in with a finish washer. For the conchos use a nail to put the bottom one on then do a bleed to hold the top one on.

2 Next, the saddle seat has very pretty stitching, but some of the stitching is coming undone. I'd like to refinish the seat, and then restitch it. I'm assuming doing it in this order will prevent the dye from staining the thread . Or, (question 2) will waxed thread repel the dye? Question 3: since the holes are already made, do I need to use a stitching awl, or can I just use a leather sewing needle?

If the sticihing that is loose is in the seat i would just leave it alone. Unless you plan on putting a new seat in. Waxed tread will not stop dye or i never have found it to.

Stiching along side the seat you need to sew with two needles. If your lucky you can hold the seat up high enough to sew after you take the screws and nails out of both sides. If you want to take the whole seat out it is probley glued and may have some nails along the filler of the cheyenne roll. I would leave that alone for now.

Good luck.

Edited by dirtclod

Thanks for the responses thus far.

LittleBelgian, I've begun reading through the link, and it is very interesting.

Dirtclod, could you please explain this sentence in more detail?

"For the conchos use a nail to put the bottom one on then do a bleed to hold the top one on. "

What "bottom" and "top" are you referring to? And what is a bleed? Is that a blood knot in the saddle string, or something else.

And, as for seat, that is the area where I feel least confident, so if I am not able to restitch without removing the seat, I will probably leave it alone, as you suggest.

One concho is bigger than the other one. Put the big one on the bottom and put a nail in it 3 or 4 penny. Then put the top concho on and do the blood knot with the saddle string.

ValleyEquine, I pm'd you but not sure if it's in the right place. It allows comments and the section said About Me.

ValleyEquine, I pm'd you but not sure if it's in the right place. It allows comments and the section said About Me.

Thanks very much for the pm's! I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate this forum, but I found them.