I am trying to build a appendix carry IRWB holster. From the few examples I have seen it liiks like the builders tend to build up the top portion of the holster under the belt loop. I think this is done to act as a wedge to push the grip snug into the body. Anyone with experience with this what are your thoughts? Any tricks or problems I should know about before I start to cut leather?

The top portion of the holster is typically reinforced to ensure that the mouth of the holster stays open when the pistol is removed, thus facilitating easier reholstering.

Especially for appendix carry, I'd recommend a sweat shield - a portion of the leather that protects the rear portion of the pistol from the oils of the skin, and the skin from the sharp edges of most pistols.

I hope it's for a SMALL pistol or revolver, no bigger than a subcompact Glock or J-frame revolver. Too long a barrel or slide, and that carry position gets real uncomfortable, real quick.

If you are referring to the area directly beneath the belt loops on an IWB holster, it usually has a small stack of leather to act as a spacer. This allows the holster to ride in the correct position, and the spacer gives clearance for the waist of the pants. If the spacer is not there, then the loops can bind or cause a bunching of the waist band of the pants.

If you are referring to the area directly beneath the belt loops on an IWB holster, it usually has a small stack of leather to act as a spacer. This allows the holster to ride in the correct position, and the spacer gives clearance for the waist of the pants. If the spacer is not there, then the loops can bind or cause a bunching of the waist band of the pants.

Hi Twin Oaks, thats what i am talking about. A spacer under the belt loop. How do you work the spacer in with the sweat shield? What I mean is do you use a seperate collar around the mouth then an additional spacer under the belt loops or do you use just one really thick collar that works as a spacer. Does that make sense?

Rob

I use a leather washer (make them yourself) and cut a flat side on them. My pancake IWBs are usually two pieces of leather, one for the front, one for the back. Attached to that is the reinforcement band at the mouth of the holster. Depending on the price tag, I will also glue and stitch a piece to the sweat shield to have grain out on both sides. The 'wings' are extensions of the front and back pieces of leather. I typically use either a T-nut or Chicago screw to attach the belt loop. The washer is placed between the belt loop and the rest of the holster. Glue it in place if needed.

I use a leather washer (make them yourself) and cut a flat side on them. My pancake IWBs are usually two pieces of leather, one for the front, one for the back. Attached to that is the reinforcement band at the mouth of the holster. Depending on the price tag, I will also glue and stitch a piece to the sweat shield to have grain out on both sides. The 'wings' are extensions of the front and back pieces of leather. I typically use either a T-nut or Chicago screw to attach the belt loop. The washer is placed between the belt loop and the rest of the holster. Glue it in place if needed.

Ok good information. I am still alittle confused on where you put the leather washers. also you say you cut one side flat?? Arn't both sides flatt??

is there a web site with a pic I could go to???

thanks so much.

Take two pieces of leather and lay them flat and punch a hole through both and add a Chicago screw. That represents the 'wings' of the holster. With it laying flat, lay the washer over the Chicago screw, then add the belt loop. That gives you a spacer between the 'holster' and the belt loop. As for the flat side, I'm talking about cutting off part of the diameter so that there is a flat area where the waist line will be. Like this:

clipped_washer_drawing.jpg