Sign in to follow this  
Mechanical Cowgirl

Help Designing Makers Stamp

I think I've progressed to the point where a makers stamp would do me some good and I have some pretty enough pieces that I wouldn't be embarassed to put my name on them... Any tips on what to put on the stamp? I've been calling my shop work up here 'Huckleberry Leather', but putting that and my name and the city, state, seems like a lot to cram on a stamp. Suggestions?

I went through the same thought process a while back. I finally decided that it was more important to have MY name, rather than the name of my studio on the leather. So I opted for the traditional stamp, with my name, city and state, around the word "maker" with a rope border surrounding all. I like the look, it gets my name out there, and that works for me. I still use the logo you see here for my projects that sell at museums, art fairs, etc. Folks at those venues/markets seem to respond better the idea of the art studio...

BTW..I got my stamp from Brenda here: www.lasergiftcreations.com

Edited by bison

It's not that much, you can put a lot on a maker's stamp and the engraving will punch it all really clear. If you're using the oval "maker" template, they all come out really clear. If you're designing your own, I'd condense it down some, either dropping your name or location, or both.

I have to redesign mine, the lettering is too thick to set easily by hand - there's a good pic on my website home page. The bottom 'Leather Works' prints beautifully, but the BAD HIDE top letters are much wider and take a lot of force to indent properly. I have to put the leather on an anvil and strike it with a heavy hammer several times to get it to set. I need to either use a thinner font, or an outline that will sink into the leather easier.

if you google "maker mark" , "touch mark" or "maker stamp" you will quicky find that there are two major schools of thought.

one school is text-based, the other graphics-based. you pretty much have to decide which way you want to go.

my only advice is to realize if you go with a lot of specific information and any of it changes, you're off to the die maker again.

i'm personally in the "less is more" camp.

good luck.

320.bmp

I have to redesign mine, the lettering is too thick to set easily by hand - there's a good pic on my website home page. The bottom 'Leather Works' prints beautifully, but the BAD HIDE top letters are much wider and take a lot of force to indent properly. I have to put the leather on an anvil and strike it with a heavy hammer several times to get it to set. I need to either use a thinner font, or an outline that will sink into the leather easier.

you have a solid logo there.

i would be more inclined to get a bigger hammer or a press than redesign it.

seriously.

i switched to a five pound dead blow mallet. it's only used for my mark and ususally works with a single swat.

Thanks for all the help! I'd personally be inclined toward a graphic based stamp, but I am also wanting to get my name out there. That is a good point about the more you put on there the more things could change. I'm not sure how long I'll live where I'm at, but then again, it might pay itself off having the town on there, and my name... When I get a chance maybe I'll sketch a few options up and get your opinions.

you have a solid logo there.

i would be more inclined to get a bigger hammer or a press than redesign it.

seriously.

i switched to a five pound dead blow mallet. it's only used for my mark and ususally works with a single swat.

I'm already hitting it with a 3 lb sledge and it takes several strikes, then I also have registration issues if the placement is a hair off. I've thought about getting a press, but this is the only thing I'd need it for atm. So I'll try a redesign, I'm not going to change much, just the letter thickness or font or something. I think it'd help with finishing too, the wide areas of the letters don't hold antique like the the little letters do.

I think I've progressed to the point where a makers stamp would do me some good and I have some pretty enough pieces that I wouldn't be embarassed to put my name on them... Any tips on what to put on the stamp? I've been calling my shop work up here 'Huckleberry Leather', but putting that and my name and the city, state, seems like a lot to cram on a stamp. Suggestions?

Well Cowgirl, FWIW from a grumpy old man: I'm of the thought that a good, very distinctive logo needs nothing more. Most customers of mine get a new holster and immediately look for the logo, then look at the product. I often get calls and are first asked, "are you the guy that does the katsass stuff?", then proceed to ask for what they want. My logo is my avatar...or vicey-versey. Mike

004-7-1.jpg

I would put your name or shop name plus town and state. My stamp has 13 letters in the name and 12 in the town and state and it looks fine. Just going with a logo might work if all your business is local. But what if somebody from another state sees your stuff and wants to order something. At least with a name, town and state they have someplace to start looking. Plus i would have a web site with the same name you put on your stamp.

Well Cowgirl, FWIW from a grumpy old man: I'm of the thought that a good, very distinctive logo needs nothing more. Most customers of mine get a new holster and immediately look for the logo, then look at the product. I often get calls and are first asked, "are you the guy that does the katsass stuff?", then proceed to ask for what they want. My logo is my avatar...or vicey-versey. Mike

004-7-1.jpg

I actually thought it was a violin at first but man, that's got to be one of the best logos I've ever seen.