Sign in to follow this  
JeanRDH

Resist With Resolene?

I'm snowed in here in Minnesota and would really like to antique my saddle tomorrow. I do not want to change the color of the leather. It came from the saddlemaker this way (unfinished).

I was intending to use Resolene for my resist. It is what I've got here in the house.

I am using Fiebings antique finish.

Does that sound do-able?

Shall I use the Resolene full-strength, or cut it with water? I like the finish Resolene gives - I do not find it too shiny for my tastes. So I do not need to dilute it for a more matte finish that some other folks have sought.

Will I need 2 coats of the Resolene as a resist?

I've enjoyed reading the archives and found some good info, but didn't see this question directed.

Thanks for your advice,

Jean

No, you shouldn't use Resolene. Wait for a few of the saddle makers to chime in on this one with some certain advice, but I'm pretty sure that once you apply the resolene you are done. I recall one or two builders remarking about not liking it because you couldn't re-oil a saddle through the resolene like you can with lacquer finishes. I don't know if that is true with stains/antiques or not. So...hold off a bit and let some more folks with experience chime in.

No, you shouldn't use Resolene. Wait for a few of the saddle makers to chime in on this one with some certain advice, but I'm pretty sure that once you apply the resolene you are done. I recall one or two builders remarking about not liking it because you couldn't re-oil a saddle through the resolene like you can with lacquer finishes. I don't know if that is true with stains/antiques or not. So...hold off a bit and let some more folks with experience chime in.

I'm no old timer, but I think it is still possible to re-oil the leather after applying resolene. It just takes much longer for the oil to penetrate. Ive experimented by dabbing some oil on a piece finished with resolene. The oil did disappear after some time, so I assume it did manage to find its way through the acrylic coating.

According to rickk of cascity, oil does penetrate resolene (http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,36282.msg464887.html#msg464887)

*bump*

Jean, you can indeed oil a saddle after Resolene is applied. As L.B. notes, it just takes a little longer to absorb. I'm not a saddlemaker, but I am a big believer in experimentation. I see no problem in the combination you've selected, but I'd sure as heck try it out on a piece of scrap leather (or an inconspicuous spot) before applying it wholesale to the saddle. This will ensure you get the results you're expecting. I've ruined many a project by trying something "for the first time" on a finished product! :head_hurts_kr:

Good luck! -Alex