Sign in to follow this  
chaosready

My First Post, My Third And Fourth Holsters.

Hello, all. Just found this board and I really like it, has a lot of interesting info. I just got into working leather a few months ago. I am mainly motivated by my disappointment with many commercial holsters I've tried to use with my carry pistols. Here are the third and fourth holsters I've created (the first one isn't really worth showing and the second I gave to my bro-in-law for his gun). I've also made a simple little mag pouch.

Comments and critique welcome!

Ruger SR9

DSC_0843.jpg

DSC_0844.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

Glock 36

DSC_0846.jpg

DSC_0848.jpg

DSC_0849.jpg

Edited by chaosready

I think the design for the IWB, the way you folded the leather over from the bottom, is just ingenious.

Looks like you're using thick waxed nylon thread (like I do - Nyltek), but you're not cutting grooves for your stitches, so they're just sitting there on top of the leather and going every which way. I use an adjustable stitching groover for the stitching around the edges, and a freehand stitching groover for the stitching along the outline of the handgun. They are some VERY inexpensive tools, and are well worth buying and using.

On the holster for the Glock 36, there's not enough clearance to get a grip on the pistol while it's holstered. It also doesn't look like there's much of a sight track molded in, which raises the ugly possibility of the front sight snagging on the holster during the draw.

On the magazine pouch, the belt slots look very narrow, and uneven. I cut mine out freehand with a utility knife to begin with, too, with the same results. I bought a set of round punches, also dirt cheap, and now punch out the top and bottom of the slots with a punch, and then connect-the-dots with an ordinary wood chisel. MUCH more consistent, functional and attractive. You'll want to buy a "poundo" board for this purpose, to keep from dulling your punches and putting holes in things you don't want holes in.

Most people find rounded edges more attractive than square corners, and curves more attractive than straight lines.

I think the design for the IWB, the way you folded the leather over from the bottom, is just ingenious.

Thanks.

Looks like you're using thick waxed nylon thread (like I do - Nyltek), but you're not cutting grooves for your stitches, so they're just sitting there on top of the leather and going every which way. I use an adjustable stitching groover for the stitching around the edges, and a freehand stitching groover for the stitching along the outline of the handgun. They are some VERY inexpensive tools, and are well worth buying and using.

Ive seen the groovers used in the online tutorials Ive looked at, just haven't gotten around to ordering them yet. I've got a big order of tools and materials in my shopping cart at springfield leather, just waiting til I have the extra cash on hand to get everything.

On the holster for the Glock 36, there's not enough clearance to get a grip on the pistol while it's holstered. It also doesn't look like there's much of a sight track molded in, which raises the ugly possibility of the front sight snagging on the holster during the draw.

On the magazine pouch, the belt slots look very narrow, and uneven. I cut mine out freehand with a utility knife to begin with, too, with the same results. I bought a set of round punches, also dirt cheap, and now punch out the top and bottom of the slots with a punch, and then connect-the-dots with an ordinary wood chisel. MUCH more consistent, functional and attractive. You'll want to buy a "poundo" board for this purpose, to keep from dulling your punches and putting holes in things you don't want holes in.

Yeah, I know the belt slots are ugly. :) Thanks for the wood chisel idea, that helps a LOT.

Most people find rounded edges more attractive than square corners, and curves more attractive than straight lines.