Sign in to follow this  
Wayward Shrimp

Greasy Oil Spots D:

I have some thin (2-3) oz veg tan leather that I have been trying to use up, but its very uncooperative.

To start it feels very dry and has the tendency to want to curl and looks generally unappealing.

It is hard to case (gets sopping wet and then dries right out) so I don't bother tooling it just swivel knife cuts.

I decided to use it to make little notebook covers.

In an effort to give it a nicer texture and lightly darken I oiled one of the covers (with I admit not too much) neats foot. It is fine over the general surface, however it seeped around the stitching holes and swivel knife cuts leaving a dark greasy bleed under effect.

Is there a way that I can pull some of the oil out? Or some other way to reduce the 'greasy'ness of it? Mostly I worry about transfer of oils to the papers.

I've had that happen before and waited a few days for the oil to fully absorb into the leather and it was fine. You might try oiling it before you cut and sew it next time. That works for me with the thin leather.

Good luck.

Dave

I've had that happen before and waited a few days for the oil to fully absorb into the leather and it was fine. You might try oiling it before you cut and sew it next time. That works for me with the thin leather.

Good luck.

Dave

Thanks!

:) Okay. I'll let it set for a few days then.

I got it half in order... hadnt' sewn it yet, but had cut and put the holes in.

Is it possible to use the eco-flo dyes AFTER oiling? Would that be a matter of let it set for a few days or will it conflict?

I attended a class at Tandy a while back since I was new to "Eco-Flo" products. They definitely said you could use Eco-Flo dyes over neatsfoot oil; it actually helps even out the color. I haven't tried it though. Still working mostly with spirit dyes-I like the fumes better!

I attended a class at Tandy a while back since I was new to "Eco-Flo" products. They definitely said you could use Eco-Flo dyes over neatsfoot oil; it actually helps even out the color. I haven't tried it though. Still working mostly with spirit dyes-I like the fumes better!

Cool :)

Thanks.