I've been wanting to build a Versa-Max style IWB holster for my Desert Eagle for awhile now.

I can quite wrap my mind around how to fabricate it though. It looks as if the reinforcement piece around the mouth needs to be sewn onto the front and back patterns first, then the whole mess stitched up into one piece. Add the piece of steel inside the reinforcement panel and the difficulty factor seems to go up.

Am I missing something obvious here? Anyone made one in the past and take photos along the way?

Thanks a bunch

Dan

I just finished a Versa-Max style IWB magazine pouch with removable straps for optionally carrying in the pocket instead, I wish I could say the process is transferable for your needs, but it's not. If I ever have to pull this mag out of concealment, I'll be 15 rounds into trouble and couldn't care less about the mouth closing up on me. I gotta hand it to Milt Sparks, though. It's a great idea for a holster. Good luck and please post whatever you come up with...sounds challenging.

I just finished a Versa-Max style IWB magazine pouch with removable straps for optionally carrying in the pocket instead, I wish I could say the process is transferable for your needs, but it's not. If I ever have to pull this mag out of concealment, I'll be 15 rounds into trouble and couldn't care less about the mouth closing up on me. I gotta hand it to Milt Sparks, though. It's a great idea for a holster. Good luck and please post whatever you come up with...sounds challenging.

A few comments and observations from the grumpy old man. I started carrying a handgun on a daily basis when I became a LEO back in '69. I still carry today. I retired about 7 years ago. Over the years I have seen holsters and the guns carried in them change ..............a whole bunch. Initially, back then, IWB holsters were just a soft leather pouch with a belt clip. They have evolved into something quite different. The penchant for the rapid and easy re-holster (IMHO) is something of a holdover from initial LEO training in which you draw your weapon, fire the course as required, and WITHOUT A FUMBLE......... re-holster. NO 'peekies' either! We practiced that, as I suspect every other agency in the Country did. These exercises were carried out with the gun safely in place in a fully exposed law enforcement holster......... And, as time went on, that holster became a high(er) level of 'security' holster, which, again IMHO, retarded the draw..........BUT, you still had to put that shooter away smoothly and neatly. To NOT do so appeared TO THE PUBLIC that you (the LEO) were not proficient in the use of the handgun. Especially, with the commonality of the video camera, APPEARANCES became a major concern to LEO administrators. This is the entire thrust of the 'need' to be able to holster quickly and smoothly when a firearm is produced from the holster.. In practicality, one has given up availability and speed when carrying concealed. You first must use up time to get some type of clothing away from the chosen weapon, it just isn't as available as an open carry holster. Then you must get it out where it can be used (time again). To think that the clothing will stay out of the way for the draw or re-holster of the weapon is ludicrous. Those of us that carried while assigned to plain clothes or under cover work, did practice........a lot......for a draw from a concealed carry position..........but the holstering was exempt for the reason stated........stuff is in the way. Frankly, while practicing, we tore a lot of buttons off shirts.......and tore a few holes in them too. Draw from a concealed position can cause problems when least expected. Most of us would revert to a quick stashing of the gun in a Mexican carry position for a very temporary solution to the re-holster. As I have said, things have progressed and evolved. Our IWB holsters are now larger and much more sophisticated than before. They also are so much 'neater' looking..........cost more, and a common need for all of us is to have the neatest and best looking rig available.The reinforcement at the mouth allows for a plethora of modifications and design variations, as well as being able to be completed in a very attractive and striking manner. Practical ???? I don't know. It seems to me that most will still need to use two hands to put our gun away, and frankly, I agree with BigK, I couldn't care less WTSHTF. Mike

Edited by katsass

This is how I learned to build that type... (thanks woolfe)

http://leatherworker...=1

^^^ This.

I was making them before I saw this but once I did it this way it became a relative piece of cake. Though the steel does add some security, IMHO I don't believe it is worth it. my holsters have all the strength they need, especially with this wrap around design, to keep the mouth open. I have used steel reinforcement and when I do I use steel banding.

I would be interested in knowing how MS gets the steel in there and forms it. That is some stout steel.

...you still had to put that shooter away smoothly and neatly. To NOT do so appeared TO THE PUBLIC that you (the LEO) were not proficient in the use of the handgun....

Katass, I found this VERY interesting. I guess I never thought about what fumbling to reholster says to the GP about your overall proficiency. Good read, too.

... IWB holster for my Desert Eagle ...

I just re-read this, and the "Desert Eagle" part sank in.

I sold an AR on SeattleGuns.net about a year ago, and advertised that I'd make the buyer a free holster along with the deal. When a buyer finally turned up, lo and behold he had a Desert Eagle he wanted a holster for. :head_hurts_kr: I tried to make an Avenger style holster for it, but was ultimately unsuccessful, and wound up making him a holster for a different gun. In a subsequent ad for a different rifle, I offered a free holster for any "reasonably sized" handgun!

The biggest challenge I had with the DE was due to the relative thickness of the slide at the bottom near the trigger guard, and due to the triangular profile of the slide. The slide is thick & the trigger guard is thin, & I had much difficulty getting the leather to make the transition well to "work into" the trigger guard recess to achieve good retention. I just couldn't create anything I was happy with.

Because of the triangular profile of the slide (thin at the top and thick at the bottom) any attempt to tighten things up at the bottom forces the gun forward - cramming the front sight into the leather fold at the front of the holster. The usual remedy for this is to use sewn in sight channels to brace the slide to the rear and create a channel for the front sight to travel in when the pistol is drawn. The problem here is that the triangular profile ( ie. thin at the top) doesn't allow much surface for sight channels.

FWIW, those were the challenges I had with the monstrosity known as the "Desert Eagle"!

If you successfully create an IWB holster for yours please post pics. Good luck!

Lance

I'm thinking he meant the Baby Eagle, or maybe even their .380 Micro Eagle.

I'm also thinking that anyone big enough to comfortably CARRY a Desert Eagle in an IWB rig.....probably doesn't NEED to.....

Thank you for all the feedback everyone, gotta love the amount of knowledge and insight you all are willing to share!

Yes, I'm referring to the full size Desert Eagle, either in 44mag or 50 AE. I used to Mexican Carry the pair of them quite comfortably, but I think some would find it rather odd that a guy who makes holsters for people, doesnt use them for himself.

Being an IWB holster I think I can get away with a bit less retention than any sort of OWB just due to the extra "squeeze" applied by my body and the belt.

Appreciate all the help, I'll be sure to post pics if this actually comes to fruition.

In the meanwhile, feel free to continue the discussion.

Dan

.... I used to Mexican Carry the pair of them quite comfortably...

Mexican carry TWO Desert Eagles?! ... Like... at the same time?

That's the most "straight up gangsta" thing I've ever heard! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I imagine at least one advantage of Mexican carry with the BIG DE is that the barrel is so long you don't have to worry about it pointing right at your "junk", since the barrel must extend down past that point.

Of course, on 2nd thought, if you are big enough to Mexican carry twin Desert Eagles your junk is way bigger than my junk, and might still be downrange of the muzzle!

Mexican carry TWO Desert Eagles?! ... Like... at the same time?

That's the most "straight up gangsta" thing I've ever heard! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I imagine at least one advantage of Mexican carry with the BIG DE is that the barrel is so long you don't have to worry about it pointing right at your "junk", since the barrel must extend down past that point.

Of course, on 2nd thought, if you are big enough to Mexican carry twin Desert Eagles your junk is way bigger than my junk, and might still be downrange of the muzzle!

Dude I was cracking up laughing here so badly, the wife had to come see what was so funny. Thanks, it's been a tough week, I needed that moment of comic relief.

But ya, both at the same time. You will need a good belt before attempting such a thing. :)