Sign in to follow this  
Dan Marbut

Broken Blevens Buckles

post-18288-006111900 1301202117_thumb.jppost-18288-011498800 1301201980_thumb.jpI have a new Billy Cook Saddle pictured in the first photo. A colt blew up with me and as I gathering him, the Blevens Buckle broke ! I included pictures of both sides. the right side both "pins" broke out and on the left I found that I could pull the pins out with little or no effort. Has anyone else had this problem ? I haven't removed the broken one yet so I'm not sure if it is stamped with the Blevens buckle name. Do they make a cheap buckle in the same style as Blevens ? Check yours because as we all know it hurts when you hit the ground due to a break in your saddle.post-18288-068899600 1301201932_thumb.jp

I used 'blevins buckles' from Tandy a few years ago to build some replacement stirrup leather on a breaking saddle....the owner told me that they broke about 3 months later with a particularly spirited colt, and I just assumed the leather had pulled out...and she just replaced the entire saddle (The saddle was well worn out anyway). I can't help but wonder if it was a set of sub-par buckles. From the pics, it looks like it just has a really poor job of securing the pin to the plate- broken weld or bad brazing? Or is it just cheap cast 'pot metal' for the pins? Can you tell?

they look just like every other buckle I've seen, but the pins are pressed in and I don't know if it was a bad batch or what the deal was. It really surprised me that Cook saddlery used them but I'm sure they looked good to them too.

I used 'blevins buckles' from Tandy a few years ago to build some replacement stirrup leather on a breaking saddle....the owner told me that they broke about 3 months later with a particularly spirited colt, and I just assumed the leather had pulled out...and she just replaced the entire saddle (The saddle was well worn out anyway). I can't help but wonder if it was a set of sub-par buckles. From the pics, it looks like it just has a really poor job of securing the pin to the plate- broken weld or bad brazing? Or is it just cheap cast 'pot metal' for the pins? Can you tell?

Their are some knockoff Blevins buckles around. Take the ones that broke out and see if they have Blevins stamped on them. For me personally Billy Cook saddles are over rated espically the new ones. I have had a few in for repair and the trees are not right. The bars were straight / flat and not curved to fit a horses back. I haven't seen a horse with a straight back yet.

A few years ago i stopped by a BIG tack dealers place and seen a big waste can full of what i though was Blevins buckles at a bargin price. I grabbed a box and was filling it up when i noticed they were knockoffs and poured them back. The owner asked why put them back and i told him they were fakes. He said they were just as good but they didn't look the same when you looked at them close.

Edited by dirtclod

Their are some knockoff Blevins buckles around. Take the ones that broke out and see if they have Blevins stamped on them. For me personally Billy Cook saddles are over rated espically the new ones. I have had a few in for repair and the trees are not right. The bars were straight / flat and not curved to fit a horses back. I haven't seen a horse with a straight back yet.

A few years ago i stopped by a BIG tack dealers place and seen a big waste can full of what i though was Blevins buckles at a bargin price. I grabbed a box and was filling it up when i noticed they were knockoffs and poured them back. The owner asked why put them back and i told him they were fakes. He said they were just as good but they didn't look the same when you looked at them close.

"Billy Cook saddles are over rated espically the new ones" I could not agree more (just didn't want to be offensive). I am gonna remove the buckles and look for the stamp. Thanks guys for your reply and again be cautious about this as I will be now. Nothing short of being stepped on hurts worse than a saddle breaking and you hitting the ground without notice !!!!

I've had Blevins corrode away, but I've never seen pins just pull out. I would not be surprised if they were knock-offs.

I've had Blevins corrode away, but I've never seen pins just pull out. I would not be surprised if they were knock-offs.

There is a knock off buckle with name H-C. They ar pretty fair bucles with brass pins and plain or leather covered sleeves. I just repaired one a couple of

days ago that were Blevins and on one buckle the pins broke loose. I have had alot of corroded Blevins over the years, some had hardly anything

left of the inside the leathers.

but these weren't old and corroded, they look new so I'm sure they must be knock offs

There is a knock off buckle with name H-C. They ar pretty fair bucles with brass pins and plain or leather covered sleeves. I just repaired one a couple of

days ago that were Blevins and on one buckle the pins broke loose. I have had alot of corroded Blevins over the years, some had hardly anything

left of the inside the leathers.

but these weren't old and corroded, they look new so I'm sure they must be knock offs

Dan - If you read my post again, I said that I recently fixed a Blevins Buckle that the pins broke loose and also that I have replaced many that

were corroded. I didn't say the Blevins with broken pin were corroded nd they were real Blevins - not knock offs.

Oh man i did, i'm sorry lol

Dan - If you read my post again, I said that I recently fixed a Blevins Buckle that the pins broke loose and also that I have replaced many that

were corroded. I didn't say the Blevins with broken pin were corroded nd they were real Blevins - not knock offs.