akasarin

Solo Bag For Sporty

I made this bag as I was making the seat for my sporty (which I posted a week or two ago), but finally last week finished assembly and finishing. The color was a little different than the seat initially due to the weeks between finishing, but it is quickly beginning to match.

bg1.jpg

bg2.jpg

bg3.jpg

bg4.jpg

bg5.jpg

bg6.jpg

bg7.jpg

bg8.jpg

bg9.jpg

bg10.jpg

I made this bag as I was making the seat for my sporty (which I posted a week or two ago), but finally last week finished assembly and finishing. The color was a little different than the seat initially due to the weeks between finishing, but it is quickly beginning to match.

bg1.jpg

bg2.jpg

bg3.jpg

bg4.jpg

bg5.jpg

bg6.jpg

bg7.jpg

bg8.jpg

bg9.jpg

bg10.jpg

Thats pretty sweet! Can I ask where ya got the pattern or did ya draw it up yourself? I have had a couple ask about these bags but I still havent drew anything up.

Nice work.

Joker

Thanks, I had to make the pattern my self. There was lots of trial and error in the template making. I initially did on some brown paper bag type paper, drawing the front trapezoid shape first then making the side patterns to fold the shape around. The paper wasnt working so well so I switched to posterboard. I had to make adjustments as I went until i got the proper shape. Even after the leather was cut I had to make a few small changes here and there.

Thanks, I had to make the pattern my self. There was lots of trial and error in the template making. I initially did on some brown paper bag type paper, drawing the front trapezoid shape first then making the side patterns to fold the shape around. The paper wasnt working so well so I switched to posterboard. I had to make adjustments as I went until i got the proper shape. Even after the leather was cut I had to make a few small changes here and there.

I want to make a solo bag myself but don't have a pattern. Would you be willing to share the pattern?

That solo bag looks amazing. Your sportster must be a post 04, right?

Does the bag interfere with the passenger foot pegs?

Would you be willing to share the patterns with others?

Finally, I am very new to this forum and to leatherworks. Can you give some advice on what type of leather is the best to do this project?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions. Congrats on the bag.

Please could you guys help a newbe?

I have (almost) the exact same pattern which I am about to stitch together (I have a HD 48). My question is (I do not want to use a lace-punch option, rather a baseball-stitch) what is the best way of getting the holes into the leather? I am using 4mm thick (according to google, 0.1574803149608 inches)

I am contemplating drilling the holes with a Dremmel-tool...

Cheers and thank you for having this board, I was looking all over and by chance stumbled onto this site.

Aubrey Kloppers

Cape Town

South Africa

Please could you guys help a newbe?

I have (almost) the exact same pattern which I am about to stitch together (I have a HD 48). My question is (I do not want to use a lace-punch option, rather a baseball-stitch) what is the best way of getting the holes into the leather? I am using 4mm thick (according to google, 0.1574803149608 inches)

I am contemplating drilling the holes with a Dremmel-tool...

Cheers and thank you for having this board, I was looking all over and by chance stumbled onto this site.

Aubrey Kloppers

Cape Town

South Africa

Drilling through leather though it is possible is almost IMPOSSIBLE. You need to get a hole puncher.

Hi Chancey

Thank you for the reply. I have looked for (Unsuccessfully) one of those 3or4 fork-like punches and was unable to find one (even at the biggest supplier in Cape Town where I live), but was told by the sales person that I could use a DREMMEL high-speed tool with a very thin drill. (I don't know if you know these, but I believe they rotate at about 38000RPM and the drill-bits are as thin as a needle...) Other than that, to use an awl (I think that is what it is called), but because of the thickness (almost 1cm thick) not very user-friendly!

Thank you so much for your speedy reply

Aubrey

An awl should be ok as long as it's properly sharpened. Many of the US suppliers are willing to ship internationally. Check out Springfield Leather or Tandy. Also, there are many dealers on Ebay as well.

i made a diamond style awl out of a nail. may not be perfect, but it will stick through whatever i put it to. I have drilled holes as well, if using thick thread, which is how i did my solo back and worked just fine.

Thank you everybody for your replies. I would like to post my progress, but I think I have to post a couple of messages before I can start a topic.

Cheers

Aubrey

were you going to sew it or lace it. I just read up a little further, if you were meaning to lace it then yeah like chancey said, it aint gonna work out well. You can find rotory hole punches everywere online and some hardware stores carry them.