Sign in to follow this  
EngineCo1

My First Two Holsters

My dad had asked if I could try and see if I could do a left handed holster for his Glock 22. So I did and showed it to a friend of mine who works PD. He wanted one for his wifes revolver. Now remember, these are my first attempts. Please let me know what I need to work on. I know the sewing isn't all that great but I'm working on it. They were both pleased but I sure as heck wasn't. Comments are more than welcomed.....

Photo08201.jpg

On this one, I redid the dye on the Fernandez so it shows better than this picture...

Photo0822T1.jpg

Nice workmanship.

The revolver holster looks a little asymmetrical, like the front tab is taller than the rear tab. I'd probably have tried to even that up, and EASED the bottom line of the holster down to the barrel.

And the stitching could have been closer to the trigger guard.

But I really really like the tooling.

Here's a complete noob question: what tool is used to create the "pebble" effect, or whatever it's called, over most of those surfaces?

I think he's using the same thing I use, but I'll wait for his answer before I out myself lol.

Mr. Big O, the right tab is a little higher for what the customer wanting as so the pistol rides at an angle for her preference. And the stitching, now that you pointed that out, yeah it could've gone closer to the trigger guard. But thank you for the compliment on the tooling. Thestamps used for the background or 'textured' effect are the E294-03 Craftool and the E294 Craftool. One is larger than the other. The border stamp used is I believe the C453 Camouflage from Craftool. I THINK.......:dunno:

SO I was wrong. I get a very similar texture from using a terra cotta foot scrubber that I found at World Market.

How did you get the black dye to lay only where it is? Im still trying to get that part figured out.

On the first holster, you mask off what you don't want colored then carefully apply via brush.

For the second holster, that's not black dye, it's highlighter or antique. Apply a resist, let dry. Apply highlighter/antique, wipe off excess. Seal and finish.

For using the backgrounding tool, I've had good results getting a 'random' pattern by overlapping the impressions and twisting the stamp on every stroke. That way you don't have an obvious repeating pattern. There's also a tool called a pebbler which you might look into.

SO I was wrong. I get a very similar texture from using a terra cotta foot scrubber that I found at World Market.

How did you get the black dye to lay only where it is? Im still trying to get that part figured out.

I use the stamps for the background just as TwinOaks suggested. I stamp, turn the tool, stamp again while overlapping and continue this way. I have found many Firefighter's perfer the textured look on thier fire helmet shields.

For the first holster, I don't mask off anything. I really should I guess but i just use various detail brushes AFTER I use the antique technique. The second holster is exactley how TwinOaks stated.