oisajdude

Embossment Help

Hello,

My name is Jas, I have never posted here before but read often. I'm more on the automobile side of things and recently used your help to re-dye a steering wheel.

Now to my question,

I bought a steering wheel and need an emblem embossed (I think that's what it is) into the center section. Its not a normal embossment because its protrudes out of the leather not in.

I attached a photo of what I'm looking to have done. Can someone tell me how its done? Maybe someone here can do it?

Many thanks!

post-21438-071128900 1304101494_thumb.jp

I can tell you how I did it on several projects. I have embossed a bit, but I know that there are many more members on here where embossing is their expertise, but I will share my ways. You decide.

One way that I have embossed is to take a piece of 3-4-5oz veg tan leather I will prepare my leather with water plus and allow it to soak in. I would then cut the outline of letters or subject with my swivel knife and carefully bevel the lines. I would then use my embossing tools to push up from the back (inside) careful to follow or stay within the lines. When I am done embossing, I lay the project down and re-bevel all of my lines again carefully. I would then use my modeling spoon to round off the letters to make them look round instead of square. When I am satisfied with the embossing, I will allow my project to dry a bit. Then I will turn the project over and put some contact cement in the area around the embossing. while this dries, I would take some poster board or mat board (to size) and put glue on it as well. Once the glue is dry, I will join both pieces (carefully) pressing down around the outside of the leather only (lightly). Then I would carefully re-bevel so the leather and backing make contact and keeping the shape.

My second way is to place pieces of leather the length and wide needed to fit in the cavity of the embossed leather areas. Leather dust also works if you want to make a oatmeal type mixture and do the same thing. From here you just proceed with joining the pieces together and go about the rest of the instructions.

Like I said, it isn't purdy, but it has worked for me on several projects.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply! This is a rare bit and would need to be created as it was in the factory so I could not manipulate as you described. Would you happen to know how this was done originally?

Edited by oisajdude

My guess is that they had a positive, and negative mold of the AMG then basically stamped the leather into the shape. Not sure if it was done with heat to help set it, or done damp, and allowed to dry in the mold. This could be done by carving a block of hardwood with the logo in a negative, and a positive (make sure to leave clearance for the leather thickness used. Once done, case the leather, and sandwich it between the dies. Then stick the whole mess into a press to get the squish needed. Let dry, and remove. To keep the shape, the cavity in the back side could be filled with something.

OR, make the letters, adhere them to a backer, and mold the leather from the top down over the letters. . This would be mored difficult then the above method to keep clean lines.

Form the letters then vacuum the leather down over them.

Carve the letters into a block, and use a dense foam, or rubber, to press the leather into the negative space.

Take your pick, and someone else may have another idea as well.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR