brad Harper

Adler 30-1 Timing Help!

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the timing of my Adler 30-1 patch machine. it has begun to occasionally skip stitches(especially in thicker materials). I produce custom Cycling and Speedskating shoes. You can check out my products at www.riivo.com and www.edgetekracing.com

any help would be great!

Brad

Brad,

I am a boot maker, and I have an Adler 30-1, but I don't know if I can help. But I didn't want your question to go untouched.

I haven't had need to become familiar with the timing on mine, but it has skipped stitches before. There's a variety of reasons; from the cement that may be on the underside of the piece, the size of the needle in relation to the size of the thread, the pressure of the foot on the material, and others also, I'm sure.

Barge Contact Cement was the worst, and we can't get it anymore anyway. But sometimes such cements will gum up the scarf of the needle which will prevent it from making a loop for the bobbin case to pick it up and make the knot. Try a clear contact cement (Duall 88 is good) or a rubber cement as a remedy.

Similarly if the size of the needle is too small for the thread, it won't "play" the way it needs to to make the loop/knot. The needle should be able to slide down the length of the needle without hanging up.

As a last guess, if the material isn't clamped down firmly by the foot pressure then the knot can't form either. Look at the back of the arm and you'll see an adjustment knob you can move along a bar which will cause the foot to press down firmer on your material.

I hope there is some help in here for you. Get back with specifics if not.