Sign in to follow this  
ToGGoT

Some Pointers

Hi Guys, a couple of newbie questions i'm afraid.

I've only had a go at one real leather project before (I made a pair of elbow length lace back lambs leather gauntlets for the missus), but fancied having another go with something else. I quite like the idea of a leather top-hat, so i settled down and drew out a pattern, and got some more leather.

Sadly, i didnt quite research what it was i was buying (Bloody internets), so i've now got an 8ft square of Navy blue/Black 1.4mm split veg tan leather which is quite course. I suspect it will be workable to what i want to do with it, but i think i'm going to need some help!

The leather is quite patchy in its colouring - i'd like it fairly black, so can i dye it to get a more even colour? Also, the top side of the leather is almost as rough as the bottom - all of the fibres seem to be standing up, and its like fine sandpaper when you run your hand over it - is there anything i can do to improve the top surface?

Finally, i had read that you can boil the leather in order to get it to hold a shape, but it does reduce in size a lot when you do that - obviously a hat that doesn't fit isn't going to be a lot of good to me - is there any suggestions for shaping it differently, or getting it to stay to a size?

Sorry for all the questions - hope you can help!

ToGGoT

I have used olive oil to tan my leather, just rub it and let it sit in the sun for about 10 minutes. That will make it a little darker. I only used it on some tan leather to make it a bit more brown. I do not know if it will do the same effect for something that is blue/ black.

toggot i would try a small piece and see how it took the dye before i dyed the whole thing. Theirs not anything i know to do it to make it smooth. But somebody else might know a trick on how to do that if it can be done. I never have tried boiling leather. When i need to mold something useing veg tan i case the leather ( search caseing leather on the site and you find out how to do that ) and mold it around a form and let it dry. In you case someting round or oblong ought to work. Good luck on your hat.