CWR

Quick Change Buckles

I need to replace the Blevins buckles on a couple of my personal saddles and would like replace them with what Bruce Johnson called the Superior Quick change buckles(they look like they would be less bulky). I can't find anyone who carries them. Can you help me with suppliers and any of your expirience with them?

Thanks,

CW

I need to replace the Blevins buckles on a couple of my personal saddles and would like replace them with what Bruce Johnson called the Superior Quick change buckles(they look like they would be less bulky). I can't find anyone who carries them. Can you help me with suppliers and any of your expirience with them?

Thanks,

CW

Hi CW,

Think you might find that Superior Saddle Tree Co of Benton CA stock a whole range of blevins and other hardware. The part I think you're talking about is called the 'Improved Blevin'. Their number is 760 933 2404. I can't access their web site at the moment as it looks like they haven't renewed their hosting subscription. Hope this helps.

Ian

The Superior and the Quick Buckles are two different things. The Superiors are the two pin and strap set up. There is nothing going around the stirrup leathers. Sonny Felkins makes them last I knew. I don't use them much, and bought them as I needed them from a local guy who had some. I did order a pair or two from Sheridan Leather Outfitters. Some guys like them. I personally have never used them on anything I rode.

The Quick Buckles were developed by Ben Veach. He sold the rights, and it still hasn't come out exactly who has them. Walsall has them in 2-1/2" in the latest catalog, but I am not sure if they are the same. I can't tell from the picture. I saw some knockoffs at Sheridan that a saddle tree company (not Superior) was selling. I don't have that info right in front of me. Their design was just a bit different, and not sure I like it. I had some barrel racers who really liked the original 2-1/2s on their saddles. They are easy to change, seem to stay hooked when they raise their leg (my initial concern), turn easier for shorter legs, and ride over a latigo easily. I did a few grand-entry/flagging saddles with 3" buckles when I first got them too. Made for quick arena changes.

Thanks guys.

Bruce, I'm looking for the superiors. The one with the flat strap on the inside of the stirrup leather.

Walsall has them in 2-1/2" in the latest catalog, but I am not sure if they are the same. I can't tell from the picture. I saw some knockoffs at Sheridan that a saddle tree company (not Superior) was selling. I don't have that info right in front of me. Their design was just a bit different, and not sure I like it. I

Bruce,

When you get the knockoff information, I would appreciate seeing it. On another note, has anyone been able to get an email back from Walsall? I have sent a couple of emails with no responses.

Regards,

Ben

Ben, the Walsall buckles should be available through Sheridan Leather as they deal mainly in Walsall hardware. Give them a call and I'm sure they will be able to help you out. They also have the Superior buckles and a few other choices in stock.

Ben, the Walsall buckles should be available through Sheridan Leather as they deal mainly in Walsall hardware. Give them a call and I'm sure they will be able to help you out. They also have the Superior buckles and a few other choices in stock.

Elton,

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks!

Regards,

Ben

Ben,

Ditto what my pal from Whitecourt said about Sheridan Leather. They have the Superiors for sure, and maybe the Walsalls.. There was a design difference I saw in the Quick Change type that the tree company was selling from the Veach models. On the Veach ones, the top is offset at an angle from the riveting flange. This allowed the stirrup leather to hang flat going through the loop and catch the lower pin. On the knock-offs the top was a a straight line with the flange. The stirrup leather would have to kink a bit. That kink would be right at the lower straight post. Even though you need to use a keeper with them, I would think that kink might make the leather a little prone to popping off that straight post, especially sandwiching the flange between the fender leg and leather to rivet, that brings that post in even further. I keep thinking about the barrel racer lifting their leg to keep from catching one, and I wonder. The picture in the Walsall catalog is straight on, so I can't tell if it is straight or offset like Ben's. As far as email response from Walsall, mmmm much like Ohio Travel Bag for me. The Ann Stohlman award winners will be Al Stohlman award winners before the reply comes through. I find the phones are better, and I have been overly impressed with the notification and shipping of backorders from Walsall. They have been very good in that regard for me.