Sign in to follow this  
Chris of WV

Another Questions - Edges

Hi all, another newbie question... Can anyone explain to me how to keep the edges of my projects (which are usually just burnished, although some of my future-father-in-law's projects have been edge-koted and I've seen them do the same) from turning blue after they've spent some time in the pockets of my jeans? I made a business card case and have been carrying it around in my pockets, and the corners have been turning blue and now the edges are too... Any advice?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

It might be that the edges are not cleaned after burnishing to remove any remaining beeswax or beeswax based solution. If there is any beeswax remaining on the edges it might be picking up the blue jean fuzz. Have you tried taking a plain canvas rag and rubbing the edges to remove the blue coloration. If so and it does remove the coloration, than it is a surface contamination problem due to the residue of the solution you are using during burnishing.

Good luck

BillB

try buying a leather conditioner to keep it from staining the leather like Sno - seal. This will definately protect it better, but I do not know how to get the stain off.

link to sno - seal:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Penguin-Sno-Seal-Beeswax/dp/B000P4JGBU/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1305693376&sr=8-13

A weather sealant should help. I usualy use a water sealant on all my belts, and have never had any blue come off on any, but they wern't in my pockets. On a side note I have noticed that my dark blue jeans will get dye on almost anything in my pocket whne they are wet.