Sign in to follow this  
blackhammer

Dorrance Honda Burners

Ive been making hondas by the bushel lately. Slit braid the eye like it shows in Grant's book. I want to use dorrance style burners, on my next batch, but am having an absolute devil of a time figuring out how to properly cut them out. Anyone use the dorrance style, and if so, would you mind posting a pattern. Thanks in advance.

What are you calling "Dorrance" style hondas? Do you mean with the latigo pulls? There really is nothing different but to make them a little larger and leave room for the latigo. Try cutting some a little larger than usual and trimming to shape. If that don't work I'll send my pattern it's kinda football shaped with a backward "C" cut out of each end.

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Just as a matter of passing on knowledge I don't think either one of the Dorrances, Fred, Bill or Tom used the latigo through the honda. As far as I can find they might have sometimes left a long tail to a strand of the braid attaching the Honda to a reata in order to have something to pull to release the rope from a cow, maybe you could do it from horseback if you were lucky! That's the reason for it either method.

Vaya con Dios, Alan

thank you sir. Much appreciated.

Maybe your referring to this kind? If so, what I do is cut them just slightly larger than the circumference of the honda, then stitch them on with fairly wet string. You stitch through both sides of the burner, and never come around the top. As you pull it tight, it will create that ridge across the top of the burner. You'll need to cut the short sides in the shape of 1/2 a football, that will keep them perpendicular to the honda. I hope this makes sense!? If not, let me know, maybe I can think of a better way to describe it or take a couple pics.

post-5606-040808100 1306906482_thumb.jpg

post-5606-082943700 1306906555_thumb.jpg

post-5606-013088500 1306906539_thumb.jpg

Maybe your referring to this kind? If so, what I do is cut them just slightly larger than the circumference of the honda, then stitch them on with fairly wet string. You stitch through both sides of the burner, and never come around the top. As you pull it tight, it will create that ridge across the top of the burner. You'll need to cut the short sides in the shape of 1/2 a football, that will keep them perpendicular to the honda. I hope this makes sense!? If not, let me know, maybe I can think of a better way to describe it or take a couple pics.

post-5606-040808100 1306906482_thumb.jpg

post-5606-082943700 1306906555_thumb.jpg

post-5606-013088500 1306906539_thumb.jpg

WOW!! Ok, that picture was huge! I guess you'll get all the detail you need!

That's what I was referring to. Thanks. did a little trial and error work and they came out fine. Appreciate it.