Lobo

Some More New Inlay Work

One of my long-term customers and I recently discussed something a little fancier than usual for his new Kimber Ultra Raptor. Having a nice cobra skin on hand, I offered to make up one of my Enhanced Avenger models with slide shield and mouth reinforcement band modifed for an inlay. Along with the holster I included a single magazine pouch with inlay, and a B8 Belt with fancy stitching pattern. The results are shown in the photos.

I have also been playing around with some of Kevin's (Springfield Leather Company) horse butts that are now on sale. I've never worked with horsehide before, so my first effort was an Enhanced Avenger with mouth reinforcement made for the Browning Hi Power. While the horsehide on hand gauges in the 5-6 oz. range, the resulting holster has at least as much structural strength as one made of 8-oz. cowhide. I am impressed with the strength, very dense grain, incredibly smooth flesh sides, and nice clean cutting of the horsehide. This leather readily accepts modeling and boning during the forming process and is very easy to work with. The holster shown was finished with a light application of neatsfoot oil followed by acrylic sealant and final exterior finish. The horsehide is noticably darker than cowhide and displays a certain mottled effect, so I expect this leather type to benefit from dyeing for a more evenly finished look. A little learning curve going on here for me. Maybe others will benefit from a few observations from a first-time horsehide user.

post-7487-093069300 1308661913_thumb.jpg

post-7487-081439800 1308661925_thumb.jpg

post-7487-037053300 1308661938_thumb.jpg

post-7487-070841400 1308661990_thumb.jpg

post-7487-080762700 1308662002_thumb.jpg

post-7487-027526200 1308662023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lobo

Looks very nice! Glad to hear you liked working with the Horsehide.

Years ago, I ordered a couple of Horsehide holsters from Ken Null and loved the varying tones of the leather. I have come to embrace the mottled look, which reminds me of old fashioned fine leather furniture.

I get my butts from Kevin and Zack White. The ones from ZW are very smooth and clean. They are also a bit thinner. I am now using these for the main bodies and belts. I use the ones from Kevin for loops and sweatguards, as they are a bit thicker.

I love those. Been thinking about trying some horse hide. Mabye one day ill be able to make some holsters as good looking as yours.

Looking great as always Lobo

+1 on the butts from ZW. I've used them from both ZW and from Springfield. Nothing against Springfield but they definitely offer a lower grade of horsebutt, but they are cheaper too so it should be.

I also got some very nice horsebutt from Bruettens Village and Peter Olson from Demar Leather.