nas

4Th Holster In Progress...1911 Iwb

For my fourth I am trying a 1911 iwb. It is for 1.75 in belt loops. i am waiting on the burnishing tool i ordered to arrive before i finish it up. I am gonna dye it dark brown with oil dye. i also need to get more snaps. I wasted 6 trying to make the loops. Let me know what yall think so far. I'll update when I get it dyed and finish the edges.

DSCN0511.jpg

DSCN0509.jpg

DSCN0510.jpg

Good looking rig!

Something you might consider is Chicago screws instead of T-nuts...but that's just a personal thing. Trim the tab on the rear belt slot just a shade, and get it colored. One thing I can't see but recommend you do: Make a little clipped washer out of leather (clipped as in: it's got a flat side) that goes between the holster body and the loops. That gives you a tiny little spacer and helps with the fit over the fabric on your pants.

thanks for the feedback! the belt loops are actually the same size front and back. the pic is at kinda a weird angle which makes the tab look a little bigger on the rear for some reason but they are uniform. i may look into the chicago screws. the chicago screws i have, have large screw heads that will not fit into the snap. good idea about the spacer. dye will be happening tonight. what is the best place for hardware like different chicago screws and snaps. what size chicago screw would be ideal for this.

also i used the t-nuts to be able to swapout the belt straps for different sizes incase i used a different belt size. maybe i could sandwitch the t-nut between the two pieces of leather and shorten the screw length so it doesnt go past the rear surface of the t-nut. any ideas appreciated.

I have to say all in all that is pretty phenomenal for your fourth attempt, keep it up! I really like your molding and look forward to seeing it finished.

Not bad at all for the 4th attempt!

I think what TwinOaks was saying about the Chicago screws is right on. They work the same as the ones you have, meaning, you can still swap out other straps if so desired, but wont have those more sharp edges of your current backs to deal with. The ones you have will work fine if you do as you said and sandwich them in the leather.

okay so i finished up this holster. let me know what you think. i have quite a few changes to put into the next one but i think it turned out okay.

DSCN0515.jpg

DSCN0519.jpg

DSCN0513.jpg

I'd say it turned out better than just "OK". Nice work, love the design.

wow that is outstanding!!!!! very good job11

Looks good. I do not own a 1911 so I will ask. The wing at the bottom of the barrel towards the rear. Why is that there? Seems like there is no purpose for it. Thanks.

It is for stability. I am actually modifying the pattern to remove it. It does help with stability, but with the wide tab loops it isn't a problem. The wing isn't a the most comfortable thing. I also raised and extended the rear tab for the next design.

This making holsters thing isn't as easy as you would think. I overlook things on my first design all the time. Drives me crazy. I have a box of oops holsters. Or I call it the what was I thinking box. lol I like the color and tooling. I thought

it would be for stability but couldn't see it actually doing much except poking you. But I see were you are coming from.

Yeah all the wing really did was make it hard to get to my wallet. I have been spending much longer on pattern design trying not to waste leather.

Well I think you are doing good nas. What size leather was that. The edges looked good but seemed fairly think is that 7-9 oz? I personally don't like working with leather that thick. I do for some reason but prefer 4-5oz. Hope I'm not alone on this.

It is 6-7oz. I thinned the reinforcement pieces, probably down to 5oz, with my dremel where they overlap the main holsterbody. I didn't want it too thick since its own. It worked out good to save overall thickness.

Well I think you are doing good nas. What size leather was that. The edges looked good but seemed fairly think is that 7-9 oz? I personally don't like working with leather that thick. I do for some reason but prefer 4-5oz. Hope I'm not alone on this.

I use 7-8 for IWBs and 8-9 for OWB holsters. I've made some mag carriers and pocket holsters out of thinner stuff though.

Looks like a really nice finishing job......interesting reinforcement design....I'll be interested to know how it holds up in keeping the mouth open.

Very nice work. I really love the color. Which flavor did you end up using?

You should give credit where it is due, though, regarding the pattern. It's an Occidental Leather design by Tim Thurner.

http://www.bestbelt.com/product/gunleather/gun_holsters.html

Very nice work. I really love the color. Which flavor did you end up using?

You should give credit where it is due, though, regarding the pattern. It's an Occidental Leather design by Tim Thurner.

http://www.bestbelt....n_holsters.html

thanks for the input

color - i used feibling pro oil dye dark brown, i like the color, i think i will try the light brown also. i just got it in the mail.

design - of course it is like the occidental design, i figured most holster makers would be able to tell that from just looking at it. i never tried to take credit for the design. and i doubt occidental would really care that i was learning the craft by practicing on a great design they made. plus its not for sale, its for me. i made a few small changes that would better suit me. just getting into holster making all i can really do is try to make something that you like, which is going to be inspirated from whats already out there. i searched in net for 1911 iwb holsters and the main ones that come up are occidental and milt sparks. i mean how many clones of the milt sparks versamax are there out there?

what i am really striving for in the end is making a decent holster that fits my needs. this one was just a starting point and has already morphed into something much different than the inspiration. more to come on that in the future.

i have found that i do not really like the design. the lower stability wing pokes out of the back of my pants leaving a bit of protrusion.

take a look at my #5 i made. it is still kinda the same design but without the lower wing. #6 is going different all together.