Sign in to follow this  
nas

1911 Iwb Design Rev.2

for hoslter #5 i made a few changes from the input i received from you guys about my last 1911 iwb holster. here is rev 2. i ran out of snaps so thats why the straps arent mounted yet. Let me know what yall think.

changes include:

- wider wings where the belt loops are mounted which will give the holster more ability to form to a persons hip.

- the t-nuts have been sandwiched between the leather layers for a more professional finish on the back (no exposed t-nuts).

- an additional piece af leather is stitched to the back of the belt loop for room for the pants to fit all the way up between the holster and belt loops.

- i lowered the troat of the holster 1/4" for "target sights" to more easily fit, i found that out after trying a friends 1911 with target sights.

- i stopped using drill bits to make the stitching holes, instal just using an awl

- i sparyed the finish with an airbrush which gave a better finish with no stroke marks from a sponge brush.

i still need to do a better on the edge finishing. my procedure i used for this was basically after dying the leather i would burnish with bee's wax. and then touchup with dye as needed.

DSCN0526.jpg

DSCN0527.jpg

DSCN0528.jpg

DSCN0529.jpg

DSCN0530.jpg

Looks good! I've debated putting the T-nuts between the leather, because it does look better, but I worry that one might get stripped and will be nearly impossible for the customer to replace.

yeah i can see where you are coming from with that, about the t-nuts. i doubt if the user will be swapping belt loops ever, plus i will probably use a small drop of blue loctite to keep the screw from backing out on its own. it is only being supplies with the one size. as far as stripping are you talking about the threads of the t-nut stripping, or the t-nut spinning between the layers of leather. the latter is what i am more concerned about. every part of the t-nut between the leather was coated with cement and the prongs on the t-nut are embedded in the leather, so it should move. i think on the next one i will drill small holes in the t-nut so i can stitch it to the front piece of leather as well as have the cement holding it in place. i dont really have any other idea of how to use the snaps for the loops without using a t-nut to secure the male part of the snap to the holster body, and still be able to change loops if needed.