enonhenry

Leather Selection/grade

Hello, everybody.

I am here to ask the question leather selection/grade. Could you give me some information. Thanks.

As I know ,the selection is as follower:

A 95%,

B 85%

C 75%

D 65%

E 55%

F UNDER 55%

Why does Euro only have sellection A,B,C or 1,2,3. But other country, such as Bengla, has A,B,C,D,E,F. And some has TR1, TR2, TR3. What is different, and which one is good.

Please give the favour, thanks.

I'd like to help but. I honestly don't understand the question. I'm fairly new to leather working myself , but I don't recall ever seeing these ratings/grades. Are you asking about what leather you should use for a particular project or just how leather is rated in general?

I'm still pretty new to leather myself, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the quality of the hides... From the look of your chart, the percentage is the "useable" amount of the hide (which is not marred by scratches, scars, or brands) as well as the quality of the hide itself. Here in the USA, the only designations I've seen are A, B, and very rarely C. As for the TR, that normally stands for tannery run, which is a mixture of grade #1 and #2 (A and B, respectively), and it's kind of a "luck of the draw" type of thing.

As for which is better, A is better than B, and B is better than C, and so on... Also 1 is better than 2, and 2 is better than 3. Basically it comes down to "you get what you pay for"...

Hope I was able to help a little. :)

Best Regards,

Chris

I'd like to help but. I honestly don't understand the question. I'm fairly new to leather working myself , but I don't recall ever seeing these ratings/grades. Are you asking about what leather you should use for a particular project or just how leather is rated in general?

Thank you for your help, i want to know how leather is rated? in eruop or USA, or south american, china, south assia, etc. does it the same.

Thank youf for your help.

I'm still pretty new to leather myself, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about the quality of the hides... From the look of your chart, the percentage is the "useable" amount of the hide (which is not marred by scratches, scars, or brands) as well as the quality of the hide itself. Here in the USA, the only designations I've seen are A, B, and very rarely C. As for the TR, that normally stands for tannery run, which is a mixture of grade #1 and #2 (A and B, respectively), and it's kind of a "luck of the draw" type of thing.

As for which is better, A is better than B, and B is better than C, and so on... Also 1 is better than 2, and 2 is better than 3. Basically it comes down to "you get what you pay for"...

Hope I was able to help a little. :)

Best Regards,

Chris

Thank you Chris.

I am henry, nice to meet you.

The major sellection idea have been know.

I still wan to kow the idfferent of sellection in all over the world. Such as ital and the bengal.

Thank you again

I have wondered about the ratings myself.

Does an A in america = an A in England? and what is the difference between a second and a reject ? (for those of us who can only afford the budget end)

If I am reading the original question correctly the guy is asking for the rating systems from each country.

Leatheroo correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't seen any gradings listed here in Australia. they just use words like 'finest quality' or 'quality from the finest tannery' , 'budget'... and then the thickness in mm

Natalie

Does an A in america = an A in England? and what is the difference between a second and a reject ? (for those of us who can only afford the budget end)

If I am reading the original question correctly the guy is asking for the rating systems from each country.

Leatheroo correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't seen any gradings listed here in Australia. they just use words like 'finest quality' or 'quality from the finest tannery' , 'budget'... and then the thickness in mm

Natalie

The only one I have come across who does is NSW leather they have the Capri and Torino range, Capri being the higher quality using European hides and Torino using South American. I've only used the Torino so far but it in the sides I have bought 95% was usable and for double shoulders (prototype tests) 85%. I would like to try the Capri at some stage to see if it's any better and justifes the higher cost.

Clair

There is no standard for grading in the US. Whatever a company wants to call it is what it is.

Kevin

Natalie

Hello, Natalie,

I also has no idea about it, we wait master in this feild to answer our questions.

Henry