leather monger

Tippman Boss Machine

from the owners of the tippman boss what is your honest opinon on the boss i just ordered one for making holsters and belts i know its got its quirks but every machine does

The Boss was the first machine I bought. IMHO, it was/is a great machine. I think it's pro's are first it's simplicity and the amount of control you have sewing with it. It is good for stitching holsters and belts (although it may not go down to as small needles and threads as some might like for stitching belts.) That's exactly what I used mine for. One small disadvantage (if your working by yourself,) is that you only have one hand to manipulate your work piece with, the other hand is busy working the handle. Another plus of the Boss is it's size and portability. It's very easy to move around and it doesn't take up a lot of space. Originally I would clamp mine to the front edge of my bench with a couple of Irwn hand clamps, which worked very well. When I wasn't using it I could put it somewhere out of the way.I ended up building a bench similar to what a stitching horse to mount it on and that was really handy.

As I hinted at, the main thing I wanted was the ability to sew thinner material with smaller thread and the Boss works better on heavier leather with bigger thread. I did use it to sew some light weight lining leather but it is somewhat limited there.

This is just one more example of what always seems to happen to me, I always need "one more tool," or something better and I ended up getting a Cobra Class 4 and I love it. Now my son has my Boss and uses it to make some holsters, sheaths and tack.

Like I said it's pretty simple machine as sewing machines go and I feel is a perfect machine to start out on in every regard. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's not too steep.

For what you are going to be using it for, I think you'll be really satisfied with the Boss, it's a great American made piece of equipment.

Good luck and enjoy!

Bill

The Boss was the first machine I bought. IMHO, it was/is a great machine. I think it's pro's are first it's simplicity and the amount of control you have sewing with it. It is good for stitching holsters and belts (although it may not go down to as small needles and threads as some might like for stitching belts.) That's exactly what I used mine for. One small disadvantage (if your working by yourself,) is that you only have one hand to manipulate your work piece with, the other hand is busy working the handle. Another plus of the Boss is it's size and portability. It's very easy to move around and it doesn't take up a lot of space. Originally I would clamp mine to the front edge of my bench with a couple of Irwn hand clamps, which worked very well. When I wasn't using it I could put it somewhere out of the way.I ended up building a bench similar to what a stitching horse to mount it on and that was really handy.

As I hinted at, the main thing I wanted was the ability to sew thinner material with smaller thread and the Boss works better on heavier leather with bigger thread. I did use it to sew some light weight lining leather but it is somewhat limited there.

This is just one more example of what always seems to happen to me, I always need "one more tool," or something better and I ended up getting a Cobra Class 4 and I love it. Now my son has my Boss and uses it to make some holsters, sheaths and tack.

Like I said it's pretty simple machine as sewing machines go and I feel is a perfect machine to start out on in every regard. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's not too steep.

For what you are going to be using it for, I think you'll be really satisfied with the Boss, it's a great American made piece of equipment.

Good luck and enjoy!

Bill

Good luck and enjoy!

Bill

thanks gringo that helps me alot i also have an old singer 31-15 and a 29k72 singer on a treadle base so i hope im covered with everhing i need now lol

thanks gringo that helps me alot i also have an old singer 31-15 and a 29k72 singer on a treadle base so i hope im covered with everhing i need now lol

With the Singer to sew thin stuff and the Boss for the heavy lifting you ought to be set up just right!!!! I think you'll really like the Boss!!!

Bill

Bill described it pretty dang well. About the Boss and sewing belts....you will not really like it for doing belts....unless you have a trained monkey to pull the handle. Sewing belts on the Boss may be the driving force behind so many people getting powered machines. The Boss can also be pretty finicky on it's settings. I've found it easiest to just swap colors but stay the same size, and not have to change anything but the top tension for specific thicknesses.

I mounted mine to a 12x18 base. That makes it pretty stable, easier to clamp down, and it's still very portable. It also gives me a space for an eye screw behind the machine. The first few stitches really need you to hold the thread as you sew.....So, I pull the tag ends out behind the machine, tie them in a knot, and hook a micro bungee cord from the thread to the eye screw. Instant self tensioner.

Bill described it pretty dang well. About the Boss and sewing belts....you will not really like it for doing belts....unless you have a trained monkey to pull the handle. Sewing belts on the Boss may be the driving force behind so many people getting powered machines. The Boss can also be pretty finicky on it's settings. I've found it easiest to just swap colors but stay the same size, and not have to change anything but the top tension for specific thicknesses.

I mounted mine to a 12x18 base. That makes it pretty stable, easier to clamp down, and it's still very portable. It also gives me a space for an eye screw behind the machine. The first few stitches really need you to hold the thread as you sew.....So, I pull the tag ends out behind the machine, tie them in a knot, and hook a micro bungee cord from the thread to the eye screw. Instant self tensioner.

thanks twin the micro bungee seems a great idea ill try that one be able to start the stitch wihout holding the threads

I had one for about a month and sent it back. I used it for holsters and found that the minimal throat clearance was going to be tough for me to work around on some of my holsters. Throat clearance is listed at 6" I believe, but I measured it at only 5.25". Some of my holsters are 7.5" - 8" from corner to corner. I found it really hard to control the work piece with my left hand, pull the handle with my right hand, and bend the leather through the throat at the same time. Sometimes you can plan out your stitching to minimize the amount of material going through the throat area, and sometimes you can't. That was the deal breaker for me. I'm going to upgrade to a 441 clone machine soon.

If throat clearance isn't a problem for you, it's a pretty good stitcher. I was very impressed with the quality of the stitching. It is a little temper-mental with thread tension, and tended to "wander" a bit. Stitches would be perfect then there would be 4 or 5 where the bottom thread would pull all the way to the top. It's portability and light weight are a real benefit as well.

Tippmann had them on sale last month, and maybe they still are. They have a 30 day return policy if you aren't satisfied. Try it and if it doesn't work for you, send it back. If you are going to be doing any quantity of holsters and especially belts, and can afford it, spend the extra money and get a Cobra Class 3 or Cowboy CB-3500. If the Boss had 9" of throat clearance it would still be in my shop.

I Have a boss, It is a great machine. Stich lengh can be ajusted from 4 to the inch to about 12 to the inch. It is a very simple thing. Not alot to go wrong. You will love it once you are use to the very different mode of opperation.:rolleyes:

from the owners of the tippman boss what is your honest opinon on the boss i just ordered one for making holsters and belts i know its got its quirks but every machine does

If you had posted this BEFORE you ordered, I would have told you about my Boss shopping trip and how I ended up paying a few more bucks for a motorized machine.....but you probably wouldn't appreciate it now.

So for now I'll just say, good luck with the belts.