Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here. Just about a month ago I got into leather working because I wanted to try to make a few watch straps. Now 5 or 6 tools later and a few veggie tanned hides I have quite the starter kit going on in my shop!

I've recently been trying out leather dying and purchased some eco-flo dyes recommended to me by the worker at the Tandy leather store near me. So here's my question: it seems like the dye is just sitting along the surface of the leather, it looks great when dyed but any scratches show the original light color of the leather. Is there some before prep work I need to do to get it to soak in more or is it just that I'm using water based dyes? Here's a picture of what I made. Thanks for any help!

edited1.jpg

ditch the eco-flo dyes and upgrade to fiebings or angelus spirit based dyes. much better to work. then go to your local hardware store and get a bottle of denatured alcohol to thin and clean up.

ditch the eco-flo dyes and upgrade to fiebings or angelus spirit based dyes. much better to work. then go to your local hardware store and get a bottle of denatured alcohol to thin and clean up.

Ok what's better the pro oil ones or the regular fiebings dye?

Ok what's better the pro oil ones or the regular fiebings dye?

I don't use the oil dyes although some do and like them a lot. the "regular" dyes are the spirit dyes. I'm not sure where you are buying but I assume at Tandy since it's near you. The store may have a better selection of spirit dyes than Tandy website. I usually order from http://springfieldleather.com/ because they have a bigger color selection, although I seem to use the same ones over and over