Sign in to follow this  

Right now I'm using the Aleenes tacky glue which works pretty well, it's water soluble which is nice for clean up but sometimes when I'm burnishing the edges the laminated pieces can separate. I've read a lot of people recommending the Weldwood gel that can found at Tags and lowes, but is this what I want to use and do I need to thin it down? Thanks.

Any contact cement will do, though you will get many suggestions based on what folks are using. I happen to use weldwood because I'm a hobby maker (wishing I could expand) and can get it locally instead of ordering it online. I don't think you'll need to thin Weldwood, as long as you keep it in an airtight container. I bought a quart and use that to refill the little bottle with a brush in the cap. My 'immediate use' jar does thicken a little (solvents evaporating out of it), but the quart can is just as runny as the day I bought it. If needed, you'll need to check the cement you're using and see what solvent is in it. Be careful doing this as almost all of them have "adequate ventilation" notices on them. Without some pretty intense research into chemistry, I'd suggest using ONLY the solvent listed, and not mixing multiple types.