Sign in to follow this  
Lobo

Holster For A Really Big Gun!

An old friend of mine is a security contractor with many varied and interesting things to deal with. A couple of situations have gotten ugly in recent years and my friend has been shot on a couple of occasions. Some folks would take this as a hint to look into career change; some might develop a bit of paranoia; others tend to become very involved in their own self-interest.

For reasons of his own my friend has decided that he needs a way to carry a riot gun in a readiness posture somewhat higher than slung over his shoulder, described what he had in mind, and asked me to take it on.

Certainly the biggest piece I've ever had to make a holster for, and conditions for readiness preclude any type of scabbard idea, so here is what I've come up with.

Weight is supported by a slide-through belt mount for the duty belt (2.25" width) with a wrap-around closure to hold the weapon at center of balance (just forward of the receiver and behind the slide handle). This keeps the weight fully supported and prevents tipping away from the body. An adjustable shoulder strap connects to the belt mount with D-rings and passes over the off-side shoulder. On the shoulder strap is a secondary retention strap snapping around behind the trigger guard.

In use one grasps the pistol grip of the shotgun with the right hand, releases the primary and secondary snap closures with the left hand, and the shotgun is deployed. This one won't win any fashion contasts, and Matt Dillon will almost certainly out-draw the user, but it is much quicker than a shoulder sling and provides a rather menacing appearance that is likely to deter many would-be challengers.

I don't think I will be adding this to my website offerings.

post-7487-045716400 1313522679_thumb.jpg

post-7487-087381600 1313522692_thumb.jpg

post-7487-048124600 1313522704_thumb.jpg

post-7487-020350600 1313522720_thumb.jpg

post-7487-030433700 1313522728_thumb.jpg

Holy smokes! It's a Doc Holiday holster for a 12 guage!!!! Nicely done, Lobo.

Looks like it's made for a left handed person to me.

Looks like it's made for a left handed person to me.

I'm guessing form the background he is photographing the bedroom mirror thus reversing the image.

Just a thought, and best for another board, but do you remember the cop that had a bull pup 12ga built several years ago, that was strapped to the shoulder and able to fire with with one hand. Was made for a one armed cop, and I think it is NFA now, but would be a good way to go in the situation you mentioned. :wave:

I'm guessing form the background he is photographing the bedroom mirror thus reversing the image.

Correct. The photo is a mirror image.

Well Ray, this brought back a few memories. In fact I never built a 'holster' for such a gun, but did design a holster of sorts, for the modifications I did to a few Rem. 870s at that time.

Way back, (well before the ATF started getting excited with law enforcement's "specially designed" weapons) I was given the job of modifying some shotguns to be specifically used by our entry teams in high risk situations. At the time we had a number of Rem. 870's with the old pistol grip and steel top-folding stock. (IMO, one of the worst ideas and least functional systems to come down the pike) In them, I found that the pistol grip was at a very uncomfortable angle in actual use with the stock in the folded position, and that the top-folding stock, when deployed, was downright useless when attempting to fire the gun from the shoulder....it actually could be injurious to the shooter!

My ultimate solution was to chop the barrel to 1" in front of the barrel retaining nut, install a specially designed 'hand guard' (I designed it and had six of them, built by a 'maverick' Harley shop for a case of beer) between the standard mag tube and the retaining nut, (so as to not allow the off hand slip past the barrel muzzle in rapid fire) chop 2 1/2" off the standard walnut butt-stock and refit a new magnum recoil pad to it. A very short but controllable shooter that was easily fired from the hip or shoulder. The proposed holster was reminiscent of the old tube style civil war carbine rigs, but it was felt that it was superfluous. Wish that I had had enough sense to photograph the rigs back then. Mike