Sign in to follow this  
Guy W

Final Finish

so i guess i forgot to order anything for my final finish when i was buying my supplies. I have my dye, and gum trag and edge kote for the edges. so i guess i have a few questions.

1.) can i use olive oil instead of neatsfoot oil after I dye my leather? I didn't order any neatsfoot either but i thought i read somewhere that people use olive oil with good results.

2.) for the inside and outside of the holster can i use the gum trag or is that strictly for the edges with edge coat. what about just giving the outside a wax with a good carnuba wax? or am i going to have to order some leather sheen?

more questions to come i'm sure. thanks!

Gum Tragacanth is only for edges. Well you could use it on the flesh side to smooth it down if needed. If you want a water resistant top-coat, an acrylic like Satin Shene or Mop n' Glo (diluted 50/50 with water, per katsass formula). People use bee's wax, carnuba wax, etc. but I don't think carnuba wax is water resistant at all, or at least not compared to an acrylic. Also, waxes do require some maintenance, ocassional reaplication. I know that people use olive oil and apparently love it. Every time I think about that, it makes me wonder if the oil goes rancid? Personally, I would not use a food product but that's just me.

Most people do not like to use Edge Kote. Use your Gum Tragacanth alone on the edges. Some people are not satisfied with their result from Gum Tragacanth and move to a formula offered by Hidepounder. Search for Hidepounder edges and you will find it.

Well, I'm new myself, so I'm just a step ahead of you. I think the information in this post is fairly accurate but hopefully others will join in and correct any inaccuracies and give their recommendations as well.

Nick

i've made tobacco pipes in the past and i used olive oil to bring out the wood grain then just waxed it for a shine. was curious if i could do the same sort of thing on leather. i've smoked the heck out of that pipe and haven't needed to redo the finish yet, but leather and wood are obviously 2 different animals.

thanks for the tips.

Edited by Guy W

I've used EVOO only when I want to darken a piece in the sun. To restore oil to the leather I use neatsfoot. Does it matter? Dunno.

I dilute the gum trag 50/50 with water and rub down the innards of the holster after the dye has soaked up. After the edges are sanded even and beveled, you can wipe them with a wet sponge and use this same mixture to burnish the edges. Use some burlap or a wood slicker. I like to wax them after that.

My final finish is a 1:1:1 mix of super sheen, satin sheen, and water. Lately, applied through an 8 dollar Harbor Freight airbrush thingy. Before that, sponged on then "buffed" with a 4" wide soft bristle paintbrush to minimize streaks.

I've not had good luck getting edge paints to adhere well.

thanks for the replies. has anyone tried mink oil? I use that on my rifle sling to give it a little more flexability when it seems to dry out too much. i don't know what neatsfoot oil is exactly and i haven't seen it locally but i know i can get mink oil around here.

no i hadn't seen that one, thanks for sharing the link.