Sign in to follow this  
wombatgunner

First Holster

I know I have a long way to go and a lot to learn, but this is my first holster. Other than learning how to burnish the edges, anyone have some pointers on how to make the next one better?

post-10408-081434100 1318271670_thumb.jp

post-10408-099477700 1318271681_thumb.jp

Its a good start. I am pretty new at this also. I am on my fourth one. How stable is the holster when its on the belt and the gun is in it? It looks like it would have a lot of wiggle with only one belt slot. You might consider adding a rear wing with a slot in it for added stability. Search Askin's Avenger to see the style I am talking about. I would say look at my Avatar but I change it every few weeks so next month it wont make sense.:rolleyes2: Then again if you are happy with its stability ignore what I just said ;)

Did you use an overstitch wheel to layout the stitch points before you stuck them with the awl. I assume you used an all or a small drill bit from the way they look. A gouged stitch and then an overstitch wheel will help keep the stitches straighter. Basically its a matter of practice, practice, practice. It will get better. If you dont have it get "The art of hand sewing leather" by Al Stohlman. It may be the best starting point to learn to stitch well.

As I said its a good start and your next one will be better. Just dont so like I did on my last one and rush the job. Take your time and it gets easier each time you do one. The key is practice

How about posting a larger picture of the front of the holster. The one you have is pretty small. You will need to add it to a new post here as your edit time is over.

Good job.

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

As Michael said, it's a good start. It looks like your leather was a little too wet when you were stamping. If you do a search for "casing leather", you'll find a couple of topics that explain the process in detail. Again, you've got a good start on this hobby, and we'll be happy to help you improve.

Disclaimer: This is my way of doing it and I am new to leatherworking. There are many other ways to accomplish the same thing and I am sure there are better ways too... but this will get you started and then you can start exploring better ways on your own.

First, you need to sand the edges so that they are straight where they need to be or smoothly curved, which ever the case. Use a sanding block with 120 grit sandpaper for straight lines and outside curves. Use the sand paper by hand or wrapped around some round-stock, for inside curves. Once you have the shape right, finish off with 300 or 320 grit or higher. Make the edge look as good as possible at this point. Keep working until you are convinced that it cannot look any better by further sanding. Do not rely on burnishing to make up for short-cutting on the sanding. The better job that you do on the sanding just makes the burnishing go that much easier and better.

Use a stitch groover to cut a nice groove that runs parallel with the outside edge of your holster. In order to have a good looking, straight stitch groove, you have to have a straight edge on the holster that the guide on the groover can follow. If you have an irregular edge on the holster, then the stitch groove will also be irregular. After grooving, run an overstitch wheel through that groove, for stitch spacing. Get a wheel that is 6 or 7 stitches per inch.

If the leather has not be dyed yet, do it at this time, prior to burnishing the edges. Gum Tragacanth is dye resistant, so once the edges are burnished with it, you cannot successfully dye the edges.

Get some Gum Tragacanth and a burnishing tool. I prefer the wooden tool sold by Tandy (see attached pic). Using a Q-tip, apply some Gum Tragacanth to 2 or 3 inches of the sanded edge. Apply just enough to wet it, You don't want it running down the side. Let it soak in for a few seconds, then rub the burnishing tool rapidly, back and forth on the edge. Rub hard and fast. You want heat and pressure. As the leather starts to heat up and smooth down, the Gum will be absorbed and start to dry. You will begin to hear a squeeking or chirpping sound. When you hear this, you know that you are doing it correctly. Continue for a few more seconds and watch the leather get smooth and shiny. That spot is done. Apply the Gum to the next 2 or 3 inches and continue until your project is done. BTW, you can go back over an area a second time if necessary.

Good luck,

Nick

post-23755-055005500 1318306290_thumb.jp

Edited by wizard of tragacanth